"petco preferred" herbal ich treatment? Anyone used this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
"petco preferred" herbal ich treatment? Anyone used this?

I just got this for free from petco, and it doesn't actually have listed ingredients! That frightens me a bit, so I don't want to use it until I can figure out how safe and effective it is.

It says it treats:
Ich
Velvet
Saprolegniasis
Trichodiniasis

It says it contains:
A proprietary blend of natural herbs in an aqueous solution

.. But no ingredients of what said blend contains :/ !

It also lists that it is not to be used with sulfinate, or sulfoxyalte-based water conditioners, and that it COULD be harmful to inverts, so I'm assuming that means there is copper in it..?

It's bothersome, but I got it for free, so I was just wondering if there was any worth to it at all.

Has anyone seen an indepth look at it, or used it themselves? I tried to google it, but I can't seem to find ANY reviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Probbaly some sort of Tea Tree Oil, Aloe and some other crap thrown in. Whether it works, I don't know. I think of the "skin tag herbal" remover sold on TV right now, approved by the Homeopathic Pharmacopia Convention of America, whatever the hell that is. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Probbaly some sort of Tea Tree Oil, Aloe and some other crap thrown in. Whether it works, I don't know. I think of the "skin tag herbal" remover sold on TV right now, approved by the Homeopathic Pharmacopia Convention of America, whatever the hell that is. lol.
Yeah, it's why I feel a bit... leery about it, haha.

I think for now I'll just stick to warm water and salt . It's never failed me yet! Haha.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yup, salt + a heater in a small tank, plastic container, whatever has cured ich like 99.99% of the time for me as well. It works, it's cheap and like you said, never seems to fail.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
http://www.kordon.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm

Sounds like rebranded Ich Attack (which does work). Read their info. It's either a direct plagiarism or highly coincidental.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post

Sounds like rebranded Ich Attack (which does work). Read their info. It's either a direct plagiarism or highly coincidental.
I tried the Kordon product last year about this time on some Cherry Barbs I bought that had the worst kind of ICK. The kind you don't see in the store and see once you get the fish home.

I do use a Q-Tank, bare with a seasoned HOB, heater. I dosed full strength 2Xs a day for 3 days, then full dose 1X for another 4 days, 30% Water Change. Then 1/2 dose 1x a day for a week. 30% W/C (I normally do 30% a week on the Q-Tank anyway.

I did loose one of the fish, the one the most infected. I still have those fish today.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post

Hmm, it does sound pretty damn similar; Thanks for the link/info!

I guess it's the petco version of super markets making the bagged cereal-- it's the same darn thing, except they changed the name and it's cheaper, ha.

I may or may not try it, still on the fence.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ken's Fish has the big bottles for $5.95 (plus shipping) and that's as cheap as I've found it. LFS usually marks it up quite a bit.

http://www.kensfish.com/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode