Another Moving Thread. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Another Moving Thread.

thankfully this is not a long move, just across the complex to a two bedroom apt. but what i was thinking initially was to take some plywood and 2x4 (or other size) and build a carry platform for all of the tanks so that i could leave most of the water (and maybe fish?) in the tanks.

but in looking around my apt i realized i have wire metal shelving that would serve the same purpose but without me spending time and money building. my thinking is that by using a flat surface, to carry the tank the stress on glass would lesson and reduce the risk of cracking during moving.

if i leave the fish in the tank, i realize that they would become rather stressed, and i risk ammonia spike, or anerobic bacteria spike during movement.

my other concern is moving my peacock gudgeon fry, they about 6 months old, i'm kinda worried about moving them. any special care tips?

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Put the fish and all livestock in buckets. Drain the tank completely.

Since you're just moving across the way, you'll have little risk of losing bacteria cultures and your critters will be much happier than they would be with a 500 mile trip. They'll be fine for a couple hours, as long as they remain at a steady temperature. Any longer than that and you should drop in an airstone.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Even plywood under the tank will tend to let it flex. Far safer to take the fish out, drain down and then you can leave the fish in the bags until the water clears just a bit in the new place. Do watch for an ammonia spike but it is not likely if you keep all the filter media wet. The near full water change will not hurt them if it somewhat matches normal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Put the fish and all livestock in buckets. Drain the tank completely.

Since you're just moving across the way, you'll have little risk of losing bacteria cultures and your critters will be much happier than they would be with a 500 mile trip. They'll be fine for a couple hours, as long as they remain at a steady temperature. Any longer than that and you should drop in an airstone.
i was thinking that because its such a sort distance i would be okay leaving them in the tank.

is there any special care for young fish, i have some very very young rummy noses and peacock gudgeons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Even plywood under the tank will tend to let it flex. Far safer to take the fish out, drain down and then you can leave the fish in the bags until the water clears just a bit in the new place. Do watch for an ammonia spike but it is not likely if you keep all the filter media wet. The near full water change will not hurt them if it somewhat matches normal.
i was thinking of building a frame under the plywood. but i realized i have this style shelving and i was thinking about using that to carry tanks with some water in them.

if its really an option, then its not an option, i am just looking for a way to speed this up a little, 5 tanks and alot of fish faster than i can catch.

Will

on Facebook.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving tanks that are still full of water, or even half full is not a good idea.
I would drain them and remove the fish, then slide the tanks onto the shelving. It is probably OK to move a small tank (10-15 gallons, maybe 20) this way, with substrate still in it. I would remove rocks. The lighter the thing you are moving the better control you have over it.

If you are moving to a new spot with the same tap water, and you are using tap water to fill the tanks then a 90% water change should not be a problem.
If you are using treated water of any sort (RO + minerals or whatever) and can set up a lot of it ahead of time, a 90% water change would not be a problem.
Otherwise save some of the water so the fish are not exposed to too great a change in TDS at the same time as the stress of capture, move, possible stirred up substrate and so on.

I would be more conservative with the fry. Match the new water with the old as closely as possible. 100% water changes are not a problem, but the parameters need to be really close. Take no risk at all with possible nitrogen spikes. The younger fish are less tolerant of ammonia or nitrite.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yarg! i never thought i would regret MTS lol. alright i'll do it the right way instead of short cutting. thanks for keeping me straight guys :-)

Will

on Facebook.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There is also another option to consider depending on what is where. I've found using rollers is one way to move tanks and stands without totally deloading. Size of tank and how well built the stand is will determine if it works for you. When moving really heavy mechanicals, they use rollers. I gently and slowly pried my 75 gallon and stand up enough to put 11/2 inch PVC pipe under to roll it out from the wall to replace a window. Time consuming and tedious but worked well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

(just got internet back today)

well I got it all moved with no losses :-)

i drained as much water as i could, and removed all the fish i could catch. shockingly the move spurred spawning in two tanks :-).

thanks for the advice guys :-)

Will

on Facebook.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
What size tanks? Ive moved my 55 with the fish in and about 6 in of water, in and out of an upstairs apartment twice with just hands. Talk about nerve racking, and back breaking.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
What size tanks? Ive moved my 55 with the fish in and about 6 in of water, in and out of an upstairs apartment twice with just hands. Talk about nerve racking, and back breaking.

two 29g one 20L, two 10's and one 30 column. I was moving from downstairs to upstairs.

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode