HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides): Possible to grow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
HC (Hemianthus Callitrichoides): Possible to grow?

Title sounds funny, doesn't it? Well, I have fallen in love with this plant, so I really really wanna get it.

I have a semi-working paintball CO2 system (Needs to be refilled), and can easily get high lighting. I have about medium lighting now, but I have a light that fits two different wattage bulbs. I'll ask a question about that in a minute here.

I have plain 'ol black sand, but I have plenty of root tabs available. I am doing full EI dose on this tank with N,P,K, and Micros (Dry fertilizers), and the lighting schedule is this:

On: 10:00 A.M.
Off: 12:00 Noon
On again: 3:30 P.M.
Off for the night: 8:30 P.M.

I can adjust anything I mentioned above quite easily, save for my substrate, can't really change that.

I also have a lighting question. I currently have a Menard's full spectrum desk lamp, 6,500k, 27w, so I believe that is about medium lighting. To achieve high lighting, I have a 10.5" brooder lamp that can fit either a 27w 6,500k CFL, or a 13w 6,500k CFL. Which one would make it enough to grow HC?

Is it possible for my to grow it? I will focus on it, and make sure it is not claimed by algae.

I would like a veteran HC keeper to help me out here, I really haven't done much research as of yet, but I'll get started on it ASAP.

You have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them!!

Thank you!!

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Anyone?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I dont think HC will grow well in black sand, there is not enough nutrients inside

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You most certainly can grow HC with what you have available.

Switch to the brooder lamp with the 27w CFL, and I would advise a solid 10 hour photoperiod.

C02 is a valuable tool if you want lush HC growth, but it will grow without c02 as well.

Since you are dosing nutrients I don't think your inert black sand will prevent it from growing.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
You probably could with the right fert dosing and maintenance. I grew hc in black sand easily. It's hard to say though because it doesn't just depend on your lighting.

Here's the HC I grew with black sand under a 27w brooder lamp:

I had a bit of hair algae because I didn't have enough plants to use all the light, but that can easily be fixed by raising the light higher up.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdestry View Post
I dont think HC will grow well in black sand, there is not enough nutrients inside
With the right fert dosing there will be enough nutrients. I honestly didn't ever dose anything and my hc grew well. Must have been the fish poo! Lol
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

So I switch to JUST the brooder lamp with 27w CFL, or use it in conjunction with what I already have?

Oh and thank you very much for all you guy's help!!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
HC needs medium light but good CO2. My only concern with the sand is that HC uproots pretty easily, so when you trim it be careful in not pulling it up out of the sand as you trim. You will be trimming often if the HC starts growing properly, so don't discount this as a once in a while concern. HC is great and pretty easy to grow. It is, however, labor intensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
HC needs medium light but good CO2. My only concern with the sand is that HC uproots pretty easily, so when you trim it be careful in not pulling it up out of the sand as you trim. You will be trimming often if the HC starts growing properly, so don't discount this as a once in a while concern. HC is great and pretty easy to grow. It is, however, labor intensive.
I disagree. First of all, medium light doesn't specify a certain amount of light. It would be better to say that hc needs x PAR. I grew my HC without co2 well. I also didn't have uprooting issues. I don't see any happening unless you have a lot of flow or move stuff around (or have a fish that does) a lot.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
So I switch to JUST the brooder lamp with 27w CFL, or use it in conjunction with what I already have?

Oh and thank you very much for all you guy's help!!
First of all, which tank is this? Lol
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I disagree. First of all, medium light doesn't specify a certain amount of light. It would be better to say that hc needs x PAR. I grew my HC without co2 well. I also didn't have uprooting issues. I don't see any happening unless you have a lot of flow or move stuff around (or have a fish that does) a lot.
Well, I've read that CO2 gives compact and faster growth, it us not really necessary. Nevertheless, I will utilize my CO2 system.

I do have the AC 20 that has a pretty good current, hoping to take care of that soon. Got any ideas?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
First of all, which tank is this? Lol
Ten gallon Betta tank.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
So what would you recommend the PAR needs to be for this to grow well. I am going to attempt a lawn in flourite black soon with root ferts and I have a finnex ray 2 which should give me around 80 PAR at the substrate level which corresponds to medium light from the LED lighting compendium. What type of root ferts would you recommend I use? I have osmocote and some capsules so I can make some osmocote caps. Or would I be better off sprinkling some osmocote on the bottom of the tank when I set it up?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
Well, I've read that CO2 gives compact and faster growth, it us not really necessary. Nevertheless, I will utilize my CO2 system.

I do have the AC 20 that has a pretty good current, hoping to take care of that soon. Got any ideas?
Turn the filter's flow down all the way. I don't see it being a huge issue, but it can easily be fixed if it is an issue.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
So what would you recommend the PAR needs to be for this to grow well. I am going to attempt a lawn in flourite black soon with root ferts and I have a finnex ray 2 which should give me around 80 PAR at the substrate level which corresponds to medium light from the LED lighting compendium. What type of root ferts would you recommend I use? I have osmocote and some capsules so I can make some osmocote caps. Or would I be better off sprinkling some osmocote on the bottom of the tank when I set it up?
Usually people say around 100 to 150 is good. Root ferts aren't as important with hc. Ferts in the water are more important.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode