Newbie Catching up 20 Yrs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie Catching up 20 Yrs

Hello all,

I've barely scratched the surface of this site, though I can see it'll be a great resource. I'm about to re-new my 29, and in looking around, a lot has happened in 20 years. I think I'm most interested in the capped flourite substrate.

That said, here's where I am-29 gal with an Eheim 2213 and suction extractor. The canister is set up for particulate and bio filtration with an occasional chemi-zorb. I have regular gravel and inadequate lighting, and a 'medium' population of fish and plants. The light will be at least partially addressed as I have a twin strip due in next week. It's a twin tube AquaticLife with 6k bulbs.

So, could someone point me to a few links on the pros and cons of that substrate meathod? Does anyone want to encourage me to use something else?

Also, what filters do you prefer?

TIA
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I Might start by if ur in georgia and close to the tennessee line, it might be worth driving up to chattanooga. i'd be more than happy to show you multiple methods. i have two different styles of filtration on two separate tanks.

a low tech, and a high tech tank. yada yada

otherwise,

substrate is a hot topic. if u plan on rearanging plants often dirt is not a good idea. ITS MESSY

flourite or gravel alone while dosing the water column with nutrients will work just fine
root tabs are also an effective alternative

aquasoil is an expensive but awesome alternative. its fired dirt so its dirt, but round granules so its more like gravel but with all the dirt awesomeness.

filters, sump or cannister are probabl ur best option.. hang on back filters do work well especially on a budget.
for me, i have a wet/dry sump on my 29 gallon. I LOVE IT.. i'll never go back to a hang on back power filter or cannister again

be careful with lights.. too much without the proper nutrients, plant biomass, and good maintenance routines will result in ALGAE!! everyones favorite friend!

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Welcome!

Yes, a lot of new toys/gadgets in the last 20yrs., but the basics, fish, plants are the same.

My best advice is to study all the sub-forums. I believe reading the threads about problems and the follow-up advice is very helpful for new members. The problem with general advise is just that, it's general.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
welcome!

Yes, a lot of new toys/gadgets in the last 20yrs., but the basics, fish, plants are the same.

My best advice is to study all the sub-forums. I believe reading the threads about problems and the follow-up advice is very helpful for new members. The problem with general advise is just that, it's general.

well said!

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Why does the quote feature ask for a new title? E-mail notifications? Yes, I'm being lazy...pardon me.

HD, that's quite an offer and thank you. I may take you up on it. I go through Chatty on my way to Lexington from time to time, though I'd make a purpose trip for that.

And thanks Dogfish(you must have a big tank for that guy!), I am reading. Mostly it's the finer points I'm looking for. As noted, I have the basics but have never tried a full on plant tank. I have had varying success over the years; right now I have a bowl of Nana on the counter that I can't seem to pitch. Now I'd like to break that level of having plants to cultivating them.

HD, what are you calling 'low and high tech'?

I won't be the guy re-arranging every other week. I like to watch 'em grow. I would also like a dark substrate; at least on top for fish color.

From what little I've read, I was thinking flourite with a sand covering; mostly because I could choose the sand color. Is that backwards(bacerds) thinking?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found the settings. On another forum I'm on they would've given me the business for being lazy...

"Let's build a fortress by the river with all the happiness we can find" DTB
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Low or high tech is a cheap easy way of saying low light and non c02 or high light and with co2..

Sand will eventually get to the bottom of flourite. Smaller particles work their way to the bottom.. just use flourite, u can get brown, red, or black in it

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, so now I'm considering the aquasoil, but not until I figure out my new light. Did I miss that it's Monday?!!? The new fixture won't fire; it only glows faintly on the labeled end. Bad fixture or stupid human trick?

I have a call in to the company, but they're on TG vacation.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Its sunday! Um what fixture is it? What kind of bulbs? And what kind of wall socket are u plugging it in to?

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm having the luck of a Monday...

It's an AquaticLife T5 HO 30 with a 6k & a roseate. It's plugged into a grounded wall socket. 15A probably, maybe 20A

I was impressed with it until it didn't light. LOL

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are both bulbs in their sockets completely? That seems so inane but can make a difference on some fixtures. It for sure did when i used coralife light strips

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hello Old fsh bugger,

Have you looked into aquariumplants.com substrate?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's Fsh Bagger. I spent a year or two in the retail end of the hobby.

That aquadurt looks interesting. The red river looks ok...better than their pics. They might be a twofer; I have a plant order started for them already.

Talked to tech at aquatic life. He said the ballast is self-protecting and so won't work if one bulb isn't happy. He's sending me a new pair, and I'm going to go check the ends again after 2 folks said it.

And hello caique. Is that like khaki?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode