Emergency! 55 gallon brace cracking! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emergency! 55 gallon brace cracking! Help!

I have an account under if_fishes_were_wishes but can't sign in.....I just noticed my brace cracking on my 55. I am freaking out! We leave out of town for 4 days for the holiday...what can I do? can it be braced somehow temporarily? glued? thank you for any help!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	57516  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's starting to split...I'm terrified to leave! I hadn't noticed it til now. I have a 40 breeder on hand...I'm emptying water into it now to relieve the pressure some. I'm off to Petco to get a stand for it - I saw some 40 breeder stands online....I hope they have them in store too!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

emptying some water into the 40....the split is closing...i think this was a very close call!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
put one of these on there for now

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UKwWGGf7CW0
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
Perfect solution, I am using a large steel clamp on my 125g tank right now because one of my rim braces broke. It works like a charm.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Weird, the 55G tank brace at my office is cracked kind of like that.

I got the tank from someone in the office and it was already like that and it's been fine for months and would seem it was fine for him for the years before that.

I probably wouldn't really worry about but that's just me. Also is there lights close to it? That's the only reason I can think of why the back of the tank is cracked not the front on the tank I got.

Last edited by mach_six; 11-20-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You don't want the brace on a 55 to break those tanks use thin glass and it will definitely bow out if it does break and possibly blow out if the silicone seals have been damaged at all (I worked at a couple pet stores and have seen it happen) not sure why they break but they do, the clamp from home depot is a great idea it doesn't take much pressure to keep from Bowing.

Len

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Algae Grower

Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I second this idea would work for you.....

55gal. Planted Freshwater tank, 2x Fluval HOB C4 power filters, 48" T-5 Fluorescent Fixture with a 54w 10,000k daylight & 54w Actinic light 3 Gouramis, 1 Cory Cat. 10 Tedras & 3 Angels.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if it'll make u feel beter, the brace plus wrapping the top of the tank a couple times with duck tape will help support all the corners
duck tape has a pretty high tensile strength

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was wondering if there was a clamp that big! We are leaving out of town for 4 days....so I bought a new 55. The split happened so suddenly and the glass was bowing so noticeably, I figured that'd be the best thing to do....What price peace of mind? $110. Yeah, I wish Petco had their $1/gallon sale, but I can rest easy now, so it was worth every penny.

Now I have a nice, new tank...so relieved. We had the old one for 5 years and it went through 5 moves! I guess it was tired and needed replacing anyways.

It took 4 hours to net fish, move plants into the 40, move old 55 off stand, place new 55 on stand, scoop gravel into new tank, transfer water from 40 to new tank, net fish, plant plants....just a nightmare!

Plus, I had left the heater plugged in - the tank was near empty. Ran back home after striking out at Petsmart (no 55s) to a burning smell and a toasted heater! So, now I have a nice, new heater too. Ugh.

Thank you for the suggestions - I was frantic!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I'm so happy you resolved the problem to your satisfaction so you won't be worrying - I know how nerve-wracking it is!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I am so relieved I didn't come back from the holiday break to a broken tank, 55 gallons of water on the apartment floor, 40 dead fish...ugh, maybe even a fire from the heater? omg. I dodged a bullet!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode