Surface film. What can we do about it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Surface film. What can we do about it?

So what's the best way to deal with surface film? I currently have a TOM surface skimmer for the intake to my canister, but this is awfully bulky in the back of the tank. No matter how little I feed the fish or how clean I try to keep the tank, I still end up with a surface film after a little while of not running the surface skimmer.

What exactly is the cause of surface film and is there anything you can do to completely eliminate it?

-Rusty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
w/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you have a spray bar, angle it up 30 to 45 towards the surface.

Setting up a
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've tried angling my output nozzle toward the surface and it helped a little with the surface film, but overall circulation in the tank suffered. I don't really want to use a circulation pump when my filter normally provides more than adequate circulation as it is right now.

I understand that surface agitation will help with it, but I still don't understand what causes it to accumulate in the first place. What is the root cause or causes of the oily protein film that accumulates on the water surface?

-Rusty

w/

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a timer and turn on an airstone at night. It completely eliminated the film.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can toss an air stone in overnight, every night lol. I keep one in one of my tanks and the surface is pristine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/neuston

The only thing I've found that can get rid of it is lots of surface agitation, usually an air stone or air wand. Pointing my spray bar up isn't enough due to the larger surface area.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

If pH swings aren't a concern (CO2 tanks with shrimp), airstones work well.

Setting up a
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm running a high CO2 environment and I also have shrimp so that might not be the best option for me. I might try to come up with a custom built intake with a built in surface skimmer that might be less bulky than the TOM skimmer.

-Rusty

w/

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Add an aquaclear hob to supplement your canister, that solved all my scummy problems. I don't use air pumps on any of my tanks, not a fan of bubbles or the noise it makes.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
I use a timer and turn on an airstone at night. It completely eliminated the film.

I put my air stones (1 in each back corner on the floor of the tank hidden by the plants) on a 30 minute timer in the middle of the day just before the CO2 solenoid comes on and it completely eliminates the scuzz.

I recommend this method because it works!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I'm running a high CO2 environment and I also have shrimp so that might not be the best option for me.
Another option might be a Koralia aimed toward the surface, depending on the size of your tank. Otherwise I'm out of ideas short of upsizing the filter.

Setting up a
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
What is the root cause or causes of the oily protein film that accumulates on the water surface?
i think there is no way to truely stop it, short of not feeding protien to fish. the best we can do is run our surface simmer 24/7 or have constant surface agitation.

Will

on Facebook.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Member

Oily protein film is caused by food with high protein content or overfeeding. Best method to tackle it is with a surface skimmer or a HOB. One can use a powerhead or spraybar to agitate/ripple the surface. Once it is turned off the protein layer will still be there.

EHEIM #525
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Um, not in my experience. The airstone method works. No slick, no crud. Nothin...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Pond snails eat protein film!

Tags
aeration, filtration, scum, surface, surface film

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode