No CO2 coming from DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
No CO2 coming from DIY CO2

I followed the mix according to this website: http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

2 cups of water
2 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of yeast
1/4 cup of tepid water and mix

Its been nearly 45 minutes since I set this up. I don't know whats wrong. Can somebody help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 AM

Just give it a while, sometimes it can be slow to start brewing. If nothing occurs after 1 day then something is definetly wrong
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
most likely you have to wait for the pressure to build. Even if it is reacting right now you might not see bubbles yet.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
That's the first recipe I've seen that uses almost half and half water to sugar. Most people put I think about 2 cups (or less) of sugar to a 2-liter pop bottle filled to the top of the label. I don't know if that would stop it from working, but you could at least save money by only using what you have to.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 11:30 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats a strange mix but I have never tried that one so I dont know if thats the cause, it should produce something
It also could be bad yeast or a leak in the jug.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 03:28 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
trckrunrmike, there could be several things gone wrong. Maybe it's not fermenting yet. If that's the case, you might have a very high Sugar:Water ratio. Also, it may help to activate the yeast in warm(er) water when you initially mix it in. Also, I've heard that you MUST use de-chloronated water for the mixture, otherwise the yeast will not live.

When I first started with DIY my biggest problem was getting a good seal between the tubing and the bottle cap. Try this experiment: plug the exit opening of the airline tubing with your thumb, and squeeze the bottle with your other hand. If there is air (co2) escaping somewhere, you have a leak! That would definitely end up in no bubbles.

HTH, keep us posted! 8)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 05:22 PM

I do not use dechlorinated water for any of my mixtures. I currently use 2 cups sugar +1 tbls baking soda in a 2L botter with water filled up to the curve. Then i take 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and just sprinkle (not mixed) it in "warm" water in a small cup and 1 teaspoon of sugar. The yeast will slowly form a thick coat on the top of the water and start to "rise" as co2 gets trapped below it. Then poor that mixture into the 2l bottle. It takes awhile for enough pressure to be built up into the system for it to actually produce bubble. This will generally happen in 6 to 8 hours.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've never dechlorinated my water either (for this), and I've never had a problem. Might be a good idea, but not needed.

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I think the sugar concentration in your mix is way too high. The osmotic gradient might kill the yeast.

I use one cup sugar for a 2 gal bottle (not sure how many cups that equals, maybe 8 or 10?) and 2 cups for 3 gal bottles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyperP
I do not use dechlorinated water for any of my mixtures. I currently use 2 cups sugar +1 tbls baking soda in a 2L botter with water filled up to the curve. Then i take 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and just sprinkle (not mixed) it in "warm" water in a small cup and 1 teaspoon of sugar. The yeast will slowly form a thick coat on the top of the water and start to "rise" as co2 gets trapped below it. Then poor that mixture into the 2l bottle. It takes awhile for enough pressure to be built up into the system for it to actually produce bubble. This will generally happen in 6 to 8 hours.
I just did this mixture, hopefully it'll work. I shook it up at the end, I hope that helps. My glosso is depending on [email protected]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok here is a pic of my tank.

Sorry for the bad photography. I just don't know how to do it.

Plants: Dwarf Hairgrass, Glosso (glosso is hidden in the front)
Fish: 2 Neons (from my neighbors house)
CO2 Diffusion: The white thing that looks like an airstone on the left bottom. The item said CO2 atominizer. So far no bubbles but I feel the pressure in the bottle, so maybe by tomorrow I'll see some bubbles.
Substrate: 2 bags of Onyx sand
Filtration: Rena Filstar XP1
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckrunrmike
Sorry for the bad photography. I just don't know how to do it.
What's bad about it? Sure, it's not perfect, but it's still a good shot!

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 02:13 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wow that tank has ALOT of growth potential!! Just curious, is it a brand new setup? if so, those neons are gonna get pretty stressed if the hairgrass/glosso don't have pretty high growth rates. I might suggest adding some stem plants 'till they're established. . . .
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

CO2 is working A-OK. Dont worry, this tank is established already, I just started putting plants in there this week. I think the neons will do okay because this hairgrass grows pretty tall, I just cut off the tops and buried it deep.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyperP
WOW!!! This seems just too complicated!!!

What I do is fill the 2 liter bottle half way add 2 c. of sugar, place your finger into the spout of the bottle and shake it like your shaking up your favorite mixed drink!!! This will help disolve the sugar. Then fill the bottle up to where the bottle to the curve. Take 1 t. of yeast and sprinkle it into the bottle. I again give it a shake. You will have bubbling action in abouit 1 hour!!!

I thought this method failed only once, but quickly realized it was a leak! But now I have advanced to a pressurized system and no more mixing just enjoying a very algae free tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode