Our tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Our tank

I thought I would share a picture of our tank we started it as a home school project. We got the moss tied to the tree almost 2 weeks a go and I hope it fills in some soon. I did notice a couple frons were a little brown so I hope its just an adjustment period and will green back up. The moss on the tree is the only moss with any browning to it so we will see. The dwarf hair grass is going through an adjustment period too so it looks a little brown I did notice that there are a few green blades showing up so I think it will be ok. I am debating on trimming it. this is our first try at a planted tank and I think it is doing ok let me know what you think any help is appreciated. the kids picked the lay out of the rocks and what not and had a lot of fun doing it and are looking forward to adding some tank mates once the plants adjust. We also put some moss on the outflow of our hob yes it looks a little purple its the light in the tank it really looks a little purple but someone said it was good for plants so we are gonna keep it for a while

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

That looks like a nice start. I see the betta is already in there, I don't know if two weeks is a long enough cycle. But then I've heard of cycle periods ranging from 2 - 6 weeks depending on the circumstances.

What sort of fertilizers are you using for your DHG? I tried DHG once, most of it died but some live strands exist here and there in my tank. From what I have read, if I had used root tabs I might have had better luck. If I had used CO2 it might have went even better.

The tree looks like a nice start by the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Alias View Post
That looks like a nice start. I see the betta is already in there, I don't know if two weeks is a long enough cycle. But then I've heard of cycle periods ranging from 2 - 6 weeks depending on the circumstances.

What sort of fertilizers are you using for your DHG? I tried DHG once, most of it died but some live strands exist here and there in my tank. From what I have read, if I had used root tabs I might have had better luck. If I had used CO2 it might have went even better.

The tree looks like a nice start by the way.
We up graded from a 3 gal tank that the betta already lived in his filter went out on us and then the light and the plants were starting to die. We did not have room to have both tanks up at the same time. I used existing filter media and the sand from the old tank. We did not really have a choice on waiting longer for the tank to cycle. the betta is our only live stock right now we are waiting to add any thing else. I have not got any ferts for the tank yet. someone recommended flourish but our local fish store doesn't carry it. so we are trying to find something else. I will pop in and see if they have any root tabs and give them a try.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

I gotcha. Well using existing filter media and sand is about as close to as "instant cycle" as you can get - always a great way to go. Sorry to hear about that 3g tank. I would agree that flourish is great! I use Flourish comprehensive and Flourish Excel. I've just been ordering them on amazon. If you don't already have one, a small (5cc) syringe will make a great tool for dosing ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Alias View Post
I gotcha. Well using existing filter media and sand is about as close to as "instant cycle" as you can get - always a great way to go. Sorry to hear about that 3g tank. I would agree that flourish is great! I use Flourish comprehensive and Flourish Excel. I've just been ordering them on amazon. If you don't already have one, a small (5cc) syringe will make a great tool for dosing ferts.
we were very bummed about the 3gal but it was more to replace the hood and filter than it was to just get a new tank. We hung on to it in case we ever have a problem and need to use it as a hospital tank. I figured the tank would be ok using the old filter media and sand. thanks for the tip on the syringe ill pick up one from the pharmacy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode