API's Stress Coat and water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
API's Stress Coat and water changes

Hi everyone just a question I use API's stress coat when doing my water changes it says it of course de-chlorinates the water and of course helps the fish the directions say use it anytime you do a water change or are trying to help a hurt fish. When I do a water change I have been using this as per the dosing instructions But I just wonder is it possible to over dose with this stuff.... Fish are not having any issues but still I don't want them to have any either...

55gal. Planted Freshwater tank, 2x Fluval HOB C4 power filters, 48" T-5 Fluorescent Fixture with a 54w 10,000k daylight & 54w Actinic light 3 Gouramis, 1 Cory Cat. 10 Tedras & 3 Angels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is one of those hot topics. Everyone has a different reaction to ads. If you are adding it as directed when changing water, it is hard to see any harm in overdosing.

But then I question why I need to add something to improve the normal fish design. I find that one way to make the fish produce slime is to add salt. The salt irritates the fish and it produces more slime coat. But is it a good idea to irritate a fish to get this done?
I prefer to let nature do it's thing and me not irritate the fish so that he is stressed and needs a thicker slime coat.
I reject products that try to trick me with advertising hocus pocus. Your decision on whether to continue buying that product. Myself, I go for a very simple one step product that does only what I want without adding bells and whistles to confuse me.

Clean water and no stress is the best fish medicine I've found. I'm open to other information but only if it is not from people trying to make money.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is one of those hot topics. Everyone has a different reaction to ads. If you are adding it as directed when changing water, it is hard to see any harm in overdosing.

But then I question why I need to add something to improve the normal fish design. I find that one way to make the fish produce slime is to add salt. The salt irritates the fish and it produces more slime coat. But is it a good idea to irritate a fish to get this done?
I prefer to let nature do it's thing and me not irritate the fish so that he is stressed and needs a thicker slime coat.
I reject products that try to trick me with advertising hocus pocus. Your decision on whether to continue buying that product. Myself, I go for a very simple one step product that does only what I want without adding bells and whistles to confuse me.

Clean water and no stress is the best fish medicine I've found. I'm open to other information but only if it is not from people trying to make money.
?
Just wondering the only reason I really use it is to de chlorinate the water. I am on a county water supply and need to de chlorinate but I do see your point.

55gal. Planted Freshwater tank, 2x Fluval HOB C4 power filters, 48" T-5 Fluorescent Fixture with a 54w 10,000k daylight & 54w Actinic light 3 Gouramis, 1 Cory Cat. 10 Tedras & 3 Angels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since chlorine does vary from time to time and in different points in the system, I would feel sure that there is a lot of "slack" built into the formula for the dechlor product. If I remember correctly, Prime says something about it being safe even at ten times the normal dose. Someone with Prime on hand might check that number for me.
When you are on a county system, I'm sure they are monitored and required to take samples for testing by the state, so the chlorine will never get beyond the high limits but there is some slack built into the limits as it is something that has to vary. Right now there are lots of people in the Northeast who did not prepare as they were warned to do and now they have all these things that they have never asked about. One is the chlorine in their water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode