Crayfish, Crawfish, Lobster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Crayfish, Crawfish, Lobster

Anyone have exp with these in a planted tank? Will they rip it all up? I know some get big. Also I have looked on Ebay and some of the sellers do not ship them to certain states, mine is one of them. Are they just a pest like pond snails? I dont see much info about them here and it makes me think that they are best to just stay at the LFS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Generally it's a good idea to stay away from anything with claws, more trouble than it's worth IMO, and i know few members here had problems with those guys.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Its just so tempting when you see those nice blue ones for sale
Just to ask, doesnt Ghost shrimp have claws on them also....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 06:34 AM

If they are anything like yabbies (freshwater crayfish) then keep them away from planted tanks! They just cut up the plants for fun, and munch on them later.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Check this thread of bad experience.. Such animals in your tank can be real bad. If you get the wrong ones.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
Check this thread of bad experience.. Such animals in your tank can be real bad. If you get the wrong ones.
Ok Scolley since time has passed are you able to laugh at this a bit more? I tell you, I think I'll start reading all of your past threads. The tank thread is a riot, but it seems now that each thread you are involved in has at least one LMAO post. Had I been drinking anything, you'd owe me a new key board Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safado
Ok Scolley since time has passed are you able to laugh at this a bit more? I tell you, I think I'll start reading all of your past threads. The tank thread is a riot, but it seems now that each thread you are involved in has at least one LMAO post. Had I been drinking anything, you'd owe me a new key board Thanks!!
Yeah, I suppose some of that stuff, if read at the wrong moment - like drinking - could cause liquid to squirt out of your nose! Pretty funny really.

And yeah, thanks for asking, it's all fine now. But it was hard at the time. I mean I was real new at this, but doing pretty good - small tank, but shaping up nice, great community of really cool fish, seeming real well adjusted to their environment and - BAM! Big a** shrimp sent it all down the tubes. It was a set back. But I'm fine - as you may have seen from other threads - you got to laugh! If we lose our sense of humor, we are really in trouble!

But I digress. So yeah, people here do have shrimp, lobsters, and crawfish. But the success varies on the type you get. Be careful. Know what you are doing with those puppies before you put them in the tank.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice! Sorry for any of the losses that may have occured from them. I will leave them to the LFS....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 03:33 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
kunerd,
possibly the coolest specimen I ever kept was a fiddler crab. He was adapted to underwater conditions, and oh man he was a freakin' riot! I may have lost a few neons to his hunting techniques (waving the larger claw in the air, waiting for a fish to swim into it!), and he certainly hogged all the food that made it to the bottom, but he was easily the most interesting fish/crustaceon I've ever kept. If you happen to see one in a LFS, I would say buy it and watch closely!

BTW, he ended his poor little life by crawling out of the tank and being attacked by the unsuspecting cat! That was a showdown for the ages to be sure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now i thought fidler crabs needed some space on dry land to craw out onto to live. At least at my LFS thats how they have them.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Crayfish/Crawfish = freshwater
Lobster = marine

Usually the "blue lobsters" you see are crayfish.

I have no experience with them at all, but I suspect there may be some types of plants you could put them in with. I would guess plants with thick stems and leaves. Wouldn't hurt to try, if you could do without the plants if it doesn't work out.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking at LiveAquaria.com, I see they have two species available, Procambarus and Cherax. According to the site, Procambarus doesn't get bigger than 5 inches. That would be the one I would try, if it were me.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Kunerd,
the fiddler I bought was supposedly completely submerged-capable! I was astonished, but he lived well, at well, and even molted once! Although, he was always trying to get to the surface. . . .I just assumed he was very adventurous. . . :P
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Try something smaller, such as Shulfert's dwarf crayfish (C. shulferti) instead, which maxes out at 1.5".

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode