got my GW package and got questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
got my GW package and got questions

upon receiving the package, i noticed my Anacharis (Egeria densa) were naked, as in the side spikes were all gone. I noticed alot of leaves falling off of my stem plants also. Knowing not to rush into things. I just dosed 14 ppm of potassium into the tank using potassium sulfate. Was this a wrong move, or do i also need to put in the KNO3 and KH2PO4? i also got the plantex CMS + boron + iron

ok i know i'm suppose to keep potassium at 10-30. nitrate at 10-ppm and phosphours at .05-1 ppm. so do i just divide these measurements into three or four and dose it 3-4 times a week? of course observing the tank is the key, but the conditions of my tank makes me lose my patience =/ btw i got a 96watt and a 25 watt over my 50 gallon and using pressurized CO2 at 1.5 bubble per sec

also what's the difference between mixing the doses in water and just measure it out and put it in the tank? I found no difference, my guess is that its for future uses if extras?

thanks for any help

-edit

just found the specs

Nitrate: 5ppm
phosphate: .03ppm
kH: 3 dKH
gH 0 dkH (i think its the test kit's problem)
pH 6.8
iron: 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
you should first figure out how much K you are adding from KNO3 and KH2PO4 before adding any (if needed at all) K2SO4.

if you can figure out how to use this, use my calculator and see if you are low or high on your K dosing: http://www.fwstingrays.com/ and then click on the Dosing Calculator (you will need Excel to use this). Don't laugh it though I am sloooowly working on it being internet friendly.

you should dose NO3 and PO4 "as needed". It differs in all setups depending on lighting / co2 / fish load / etc. If you just dose what EI recommends (1/4t per 20g's 3x per week), then you can't overdose as long as you do 50% water changes each week. You can fine-tune it later upon testing to see if you are adding enough or too much. I for one have to dose more.

You will want to dose dry most of the time. Dosing liquid is more of a pain than necessary, especially since you have a 50g tank. I happen to dose Plantex and PO4 liquid but only because I mix my Plantex with Flourish and dose 1/4 as much as EI recommends of PO4.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I enjoy using the Fertilator on APC.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ertilator.php?

You must create an account and log on before you can use it though, but it works well. You just select what type of dry ferts you are planning to use and enter the amount (in grams or teaspoons) and it'll give out the total amount, in ppm, that you're dosing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode