Expert? Not me, by any means. But I can tell you some personal experiences from having set up a brand new 50 gal in March. Prior to its set up I had a 29 and two 10's with healthy, algae free plants.
I gravel vaccumed a large portion of the 29 and one of the 10's to suck up as much mulm as I could. I let it settle in a bucket and put that in the bottom of new tank's substrate (flourite/eco combination - which btw, I think looks pretty good).
I moved one of the sponges from my XP1 that's on the 29 onto the new XP2 for the 50, so each filter had one 'virgin' sponge, so to speak. The new tank I planted with some of all I had. My 'fast growers' were R. rotundafolia, and some hornwort I bought from the lfs. Looking back on it now, I realize I used too many slow growers at first - C. wendtiis and petite nanas, in particular. The petites all developed quite a bit of gs algae on the leaves. I had 2 sae's, 2 ottos and a handful of cherry shrimp as my 'clean up crew', along with 8 guppies as the initial inhabitants.
My lighting initially was a 96W ahs with reflector (have since added a 30W strip). CO2 started immediately, ferts started immediately but only half of what would become my normal amount.
As far as algae at the start, there was a little brown algae which pretty much disappeared after about 3 weeks, and some gs on the anubias leaves. I also got gs on the glass, but I have always had some of that no matter how much I up my PO4, I just wipe down weekly with my water changes.
One thing I found really interesting, was that when first set up, the hornwort was growing about an inch a day. As the other plants acclimated and started to grow, the growth of the hornwort slowed down considerably. When the rest of the tank started to look good, the hornwort got real leggy.
The tank is now doing great, and except for the glass gs, no algae. There remains a little gs on the older leaves of the anubias which I never bothered to trim off. One sae committed suicide onto the carpet and one otto didn't make it. There must be about 100 cherries in there by now and the guppy population is exploding as well.
Overall, it was rather painless. I think the major things are to:
1. Start with a ton of plants. I see a lot of pics of people's new tanks and imo, there isn't anywhere near enough plant mass there.
2. Start with good CO2 from the get go.
3. Suck up as much mulm as you can from any old tank. Folks recommend peat if you can't get mulm, I've never tried it.
4. Maintain good maintenance as you normally would.
My (rather wordy), 2 cents worth.