EI Dosage Schedule - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI Dosage Schedule

Well I know this thread gets played a lot, but I just wanted to run my schedule by everyone and see how everything looks. I would love any input on changes I should make.

46 gallon bowfront

3.3 wpg: 1x96w PC (Back) & 2x30W NO (Front)

Pressurized co2: I have it running pretty high right now, waiting for signs of fish distress.

KH 9
ph 6.8

Day 1: Water change - 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3
1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4
1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4
Day 2: 10ml of Flourish

Day 3: Here is the ?: - 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3
1/16 teaspoon of KH2PO4

Day 4: Same as day 2

Day 5: Same as day 3

Day 6: Same as day 2

Day 7: Rinse Repeat

I was wondering if I should be dosing more macro's on the alternating days following the water change initial dosage? I have been cutting it in half. Should I be doing the same amounts that I dose after water change?

I have noticed that my A.Reinickii (sp?) gets holes fairly fast on it older leaves. Everything else has bee growing pretty well. I have gone through some algae but nothing terrible.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of the schedule and would love to hear feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Doyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hello Doyle
You're dosing schedule looks good, micro amount is perfect, you could dose a 1/4 Tsp KN03 on day 3 & 5 if the tank is sparsly planted, if it is in fact heavy planted keep it at 1/2Tsp.. after a heavy trimming, then revert to 1/2Tsp on H20 change day then 1/4 the other two, otherwise....
stay with 1/8Tsp KH2P04.
Keep C02 high, on & off with lights.
Stay on this schedule keep tank clean plants fluffed, pruned and preened, and it will run smooth.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Just one clarification, do you mean run the co2 24 hours with the same rate the whole time, or turn it on and off with the lights?

Thanks again for any help.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
On and off with lights, if you have a solinoid plug into light timer, if you have one, if not I would get one.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:46 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I would take issue with the CO2 timer. . .I know this has it's own threads elsewhere and is a much-discussed topic. If the idea is to avoid pH swings, then it may be just as easy to leave it on. If the timer is turned off at night, then the pH is bound to increase and then decrease once again when you turn it back on. OTH, when you leave it on the plants stop using the carbon, possibly forcing the pH down . . . which would be real tough with a KH of 9! I guess with that kH, I would find it hard to invest in a solenoid!

Are you adding baking soday/buffers to the h2o?

I guess I've come to realize that for co2 w/out a pH controller, the pH is going to fluctuate at night either way!

If I'm erring in my thinking here, please post! (btw I haven't even set up a pressurized co2 yet!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
As for dosing the macros, if the A.Reinickii is the only plant to show signs then I bet you are okay. After doing a bit of net searching, I think the older, lower leaves may not be getting enough light. Check out this page for some info:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ah_main/feb1999.html

Got any pics?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss2004
I have noticed that my A.Reinickii (sp?) gets holes fairly fast on it older leaves. Everything else has bee growing pretty well. I have gone through some algae but nothing terrible.
You could try shoving a couple of potassium tablets into the gravel near the A. reineckii.

Cheryl Rogers

"The Aquatic Gardener" Senior Editor
AGA President
Aquatic Gardeners Association

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I toss out A reineckii weekly.............

CO2, I turn my CO2 off at night, always have, so do a number of folks(ADA tanks all have theirs off at night as well).

pH does not matter to fish or plants if it goes up at night etc.
You gain nothing from stablizing it at night, it's a gas issue and a plant fertilizer.

We add it for the plants, not for the pH.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies.

I decided to just hook the co2 up to my timer with the lights, I have it cranking through the entire day and can't even really count the bubbles passing through the counter.

I have also decided to up my KNO3 to 1/2 teaspoon and the alternating days following the initial water change dosage. Yeah the Reinickii is the only plant showing deficincies, but before I moved I was growing it in the same set-up without having any problems. I wonder if the new place's water is lacking a micro nutrient that the plant needs, hmm....

Anyway thanks for the great feedback!!

Doyle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

How heavy is your tank planted?

I have a 46G bow front as well and am trying to compare my dosing to yours. I have been dosing 3/4 teaspoon of KN03 and 1/8 teaspoon KH2PO4 every other day, and 8ML of a Plantex solution that was mixed to be similar to Flourish on the other days. Sorry I can't remember the exact mixture off hand. I also run my CO2 24/7 and it only turns off when the PH drops below 6.8 via the controller/solenoid. My tap water KH is 7-8.

I'm not sure how to describe how much plant I have, but I'd say at least 50% of my tank is covered. I had a small problem with green hair algea which seems stay in check as long as I keep up the ferts. Lately, I have been getting a lot of brown algea that looks like puffs of clouds around the bottom of my tank, mostly around my plants. Wish I could get rid of that
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Minneapolis, my tank is quite full of plants. It is mostly made up of stem plants. It is actually a little more than I would like but I want to get through a couple of months before I start to move some of them out.

From what I gather you are putting in a little more per dosage but from what I gather about EI the excess shouldn't hurt . I have also been getting some brown algae, and some green spot but since I have cranked the co2 up even higher, they both have become less of a problem.

I look forward to seeing how everything turns out for you.

What type of lighting do you have going on over your tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode