Does your Mopane rot? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does your Mopane rot?

Hello forumites,
I have a new tank with a large mopane log in it and it's rotting. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it in the tank. I have to do partial water changes everyday. The tank is still cycling but every day seems too much.
It first grew a white jelly-like stuff all over it (the wood), and then started to smell bad. I was scraping it off yesterday and in the process, one of my fish died, I'm not sure what the precise cause of death was, but the tank was full of floating white gunk from the Mopane. I managed to get all the fungus? off and the water is now "clean" but still smells a little. I'll keep up the partial WC.

Should I keep it and see what happens or should I throw it out. Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Rodrigo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
that's normal... not rotting per se (everything is rotting when you get down to it, its just a matter of rate). fungus on mopani is *very* common. mine was white and stinky for about 3 weeks. some plecos will keep it clean, other's don't care for it. but it *will* disappear on its own one day. keep up the water changes, and *don't* scrape off the fungus unless you like making your water messier than it has to be... leave the fungus confined to the wood and it will work itself out soon enough. as for your fish dying,... no clue there. i've never heard of anyone linking driftwood fungus (white fuzz / slime) with fish death, but I can't say it's not possible. Another option is to soak the wood in a separate container from your tank, or boil it, to help it water log faster (but boiling starts the microorganism colonization over again, and the fugus will come back as strong as ever. i'd just leave it alone, and don't scrape stuff off of it until it's definitely algae, and even then, just get a pleco, otos, or shrimp and it shouldn't be a big deal. best of luck!

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Oqsy,
you have no idea how much I needed to hear, or in this case, read that. I will let the wood be and hope for the best and keep up the water changes untill things settle down. The fish in the aquarium seem happy, except of course, the dead one.

Rodrigo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode