Crypt rot: Trim or ignore? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crypt rot: Trim or ignore?

If one of my crypts is melting, what would be best, to trim the leaves as soon as they show signs of melting, trim them when they have more the 50% melt, or just leave until they completely melt?

I ask this because I was thinking that maybe when the crypt leaves melt, the mobile nutrients get transported back to the rhizome or something like that, in which case it would be good to leave the leaves until the completely melt.

If this is a nonsense question, please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing on crypt biology, or biology in general

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I don't know if there is any mobilization back to the root system or not, but I can tell you there is an enourmous mess created in your tank if you have a stand of Crypts melt. It's happened to me 3 times, each time a lack of or a change of ferts triggered it. The last time, I started trimming leaves immediately as soon as they showed meltdown. Leave the remaining leaf or 2 and the root mass alone, recovery is quicker than you would think, considering it's a Crypt.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So they recovered faster when you trimmed all the leaves but 2? Or they recovered just as fast, but without adding all that plant waste to your tank?

Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Fast is a relative term. But they did seem to recover a little quicker by trimming affected leaves as I noticed them. I didn't whack all but one or two leaves, I only cut out the ones that had started melting. It did keep the tank a lot cleaner in the process.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode