Oh well that's just fantastic! (mostly ranting) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh well that's just fantastic! (mostly ranting)

My dad bought a 5 gal even though everyone else in the house thought it was a bad idea. He used river water and gravel and stuck 2 7-8 cm goldfish and 2 4 cm swordtails in there. I tried to tell him about "new tank syndrome" but he's sooo stubborn. So the tank was set up yesterday and it has no heater or light and he boiled the river water so KH must have been pretty low. Water temp was 20C... swordtails were not happy. This evening he was messing with the tank and I guess he put too much pressure on the front glass 'cause the whole thing cracked and well you get the picture. So he grabs the fish and dumps the 2 giant orange whales into my 8 gal planted. I didn't think they'd make it... my water is a lot harder and they didn't move an inch for an hour. And now I know why people don't like goldfish in planted tanks. Poo is flying all over the place and I have roots floating around with no plants attached to them. The swordtails are in a little container floating in my guppy fry tank. I have no other place for them. And to top it all off one of my otos has stopped eating. If you've read this far then bless you

And now I have a question... I added 3 otos a few days ago and now have the giant goldfish plus the 2 guppies that were there before, so is the ammonia going to get extremely high?

We'll be getting another tank tomorrow but if my tank can handle it, I want to keep 3 of the fish in my tank and use 1 goldfish to cycle his tank. So can my 8 gal, moderately planted tank handle 2 otos (sick one is in the dry tank now), 2 guppies, 2 swordtails and 1 goldfish for a month? I would probably have to aerate quite a bit during the day so my plants won't be happy about that...

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
Yes, I read the whole thing. Father's can be so stubborn...not as bad as sisters though. Oy!

You're 8gal should have no problem supporting those fish. You might want to test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/whatever everyday for the first week to get an idea of how much waste is being created and how often you'll need to do water changes. If you change a couple gallons every few days, you'll be just fine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

WC ever few days? Would 50% once a week be ok? I'm doing EI dosing... although I might not have to add nitrates anymore lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
No in such a over stocked tank wiht goldfish you need to do 50%'s about every 2 days.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first tank was a 10 gallon with two oranda goldfish. I had to do 25-30% daily to keep them from getting sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

25-30% daily? Wow that's more than for discus isn't it? :P

OK the 2 goldfish moved into a new tank today. My dad is expecting to do WC every 3 months (and won't let me do any either) but he's leaving tomorrow so I'll just have to do some ninja WC.

And what size should a tank be for 2 7cm goldfish? The tank they're in now seems awfully tiny! I think it's about 4 gal. They're not orandas or lionheads or anything like that just koi looking ones, if that makes a difference.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode