ditching TMG and going to gregwatson - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ditching TMG and going to gregwatson

i'm tired of not really knowing what i'm putting in my tank and what i'm missing and i want to try using only greg watson's dry chemicals for my fertilization. What should i get from Gregwatson in order to get all the nutrients my plants need? or what else should i add in compliment to the Tropical Master Growth fertilizer? thanks alot

btw what does EI or PPS stand for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
For normal dosings:
CSM+B - traces
KNO3
KH2PO4

If needed:
CaCO3
MgSO4+7H20 - same as Epsom Salt at pharmacy stores
Chelated Iron
K2SO4 - if not getting enough K from KNO3

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I am sure others will soon post to help you. I know little about dosing but in the meantime try this link. http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Good luck
river

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:15 AM

Start out by reading the "Adding Fertilizers" document under the Articles section of the website -- https://www.plantedtank.net/fertilizers.html It will give you some good direction as to what you need and how much you need to add.

There are also several other very good posts if you just do a few searches on the site.

I personally recommend using the Estimative Index -- http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Good Luck and have some fun!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Don't ditch the TMG quite yet. As you read through the EI, you'll find Tom actually recommending TMG as a source of traces in stead of CSM+B.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:39 AM

If you don't like the idea of not knowing what you are putting in your tank, Greg Watson is not the way to go. The agricultural grade fertilizers he sells are good for the ground, but not a closed system like an aquarium. This is because they have a high amount of unknown impurities.

What you want is Reagent ACS grade chemicals. Google or eBay for places to buy them. These are the types of chemicals virtually all aquarium companies use to formulate their products.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

i got this from the reading so far and i have a question:

NO3 range 5-30ppm
K+ range 10-30ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher (?)

how can i measure ppm like tsp? is there a forumla to convert tsp to ppm to gallon?

also, should i purchase "Plantex CSM+B Plus Extra Iron" or "CSM+B Plantex"
since adding extra iron won't hurt the plants, i want to save some money by buying the extra iron. what you guys think?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:21 AM

If you download the Planted Aquarium Calculator at the bottom of this link, you will be able to work out how many ppm, of a given nutrient, will be added to your tank per tsp.

Good luck!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to GregWatson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarOcean
also, should i purchase "Plantex CSM+B Plus Extra Iron" or "CSM+B Plantex"
since adding extra iron won't hurt the plants, i want to save some money by buying the extra iron. what you guys think?
I personally prefer the plain Plantex CSM+B ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Blue:
Quote:
The agricultural grade fertilizers he sells are good for the ground, but not a closed system like an aquarium.
Hey Ocean take a look at the Photo Album to view the detrimental effects of "unknown contaminates." If you like what you see read up on dosing regiments, chose the one that you think is best, then order your ferts from Greg Watson.

Contrary to what some fear mongers say this is a friendly board. Should you find some tanks in the Photo Album that blow you away, and you will, ask the member what he/she uses for fertilizer and where they got them from. What you will find is that most use agricultural grade ferts purchased from Greg Watson.

BTW an aquarium is only a closed system if you don't do water changes

Last edited by Clone; 07-26-2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
Dead on accurate Clone.

I would consider my garden outback more of a closed system than my aquarium that has 50% WC every week (and I don't eat things out of my aquarium).

Starocean: I wouldn't be so concerned with the "unknowns" in your fertilizers especially if you take a little while to understand the Estimative Index and how you will never accumulate more than twice the level of anything you put into the tank with 50% WC. as long as your plants look good, why change?

Just because I wanted to see what would happen I dosed 2L of PMDD (from Greg Watson Ferts) into a 55 gallon tank over the course of a month and a half and the only thing that I lost was my hair algea (oh no!)

How about we all worry about how much heavy metal is in our swordfish and tuna and Striped bass than whats in our aquarium water [freshwater at least].

The comparison to saltwater tanks has been made and how unbalanced water parameters can wreak havok - just remember the Ocean is an incredibly stable environment that varies little with seasons (especially in the tropics). Freshwater on the other hand changes drastically with rainy and dry seasons - I believe we, as freshwater planted tank enthusiasts, have much more room for water parameter variation than our salt water cousins.

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:27 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Lol I just wanna get a post in before this gets locked. . . . :P

"i'm tired of not really knowing what i'm putting in my tank and what i'm missing and i want to try using only greg watson's dry chemicals for my fertilization."

Me too, StarOcean! Though I haven't yet, I've been reading (alot). My biggest concern is the "what I'm missing" part of it. I don't wanna have to sit there and say. . . ."this and this and this is what's wrong with my plants, what am I missing"!

Rather, I think I'm gonna order tons of "agricultural grade" ferts, dose alot of everything possible, and get a python

I think that's a terrific way to do it, especially considering the tolerability of freshwater fish to change

And a last word: Clone said it best, let the photos speak for themselves. . .
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't ditch TMG, like turbomkt said, it is a great trace fert.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
If you don't like the idea of not knowing what you are putting in your tank, Greg Watson is not the way to go. The agricultural grade fertilizers he sells are good for the ground, but not a closed system like an aquarium. This is because they have a high amount of unknown impurities.

What you want is Reagent ACS grade chemicals. Google or eBay for places to buy them. These are the types of chemicals virtually all aquarium companies use to formulate their products.
Sorry this Doctor and associated troll a very poor exmaple and something that reduces any sense of credibility rather support your contention.

We've use ag grade for over 15 years without any incident at all for aquariums. I've kepts rare fish and wild fish for these tanks, shrimps and other sensitive creatures.

Several thousand folks, past winners of contest, all have no issue, now why might that be?

You and the Doctor claim this is a reason, I challenge you to show support for this contention, no one has ever supported their position that this is a reasonable issue.

Stop making up mythswhere non exist.
If you have any real support or practical proof of any type, feel free to show it.

Otherwise I will continue to punch some rather large gaping holes in your contentions/position till you offer any real support that makes any sense.
It's not personal. But I do not like myths and I know this issue not to be true and anyone else that's been using ag grade stuff for the last 15 years also knows this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Plant pruning is also a large part of the export as well as water changes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode