First HP CO2 Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
First HP CO2 Setup

I could use a little advice here, on getting together a high pressure co2 system. I've seen the JBJ and Milwaukee solenoid combos for sale on ebay, and was leaning towards one of those. I'm not planning on doing a pH controller just yet.

But, I ran across this setup the other day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3752&rd=1&rd=1

I like that it comes with an attractive, smaller co2 tank, and high-quality regulator. Seems that I could just get a nice needle valve, some tubing, and the rest is easily DIY.

One reservation is that the low-pressure side seems like it's got a pretty high range (for being the low side ~ 450 psi)

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm broke, if that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well I dont know how it is around where you live but I know around where I live its easier to get the tank locally and then when it needs refilling you just bring the tank back and they swap it with a new one. No one around me fills co2 on site its all exchange.

Also if you own the bottle yourself i think its every 2 years the bottle has to be tested and you have to pay for that.

Depending on how things are around you you might be better off just getting the regulator and solenoid and then getting a co2 tank local. If it helps i payed $75 for my bottle the first time ($60 for tank deposit) then when i go back for a refill it costs me 16 bucks and i get a new bottle.

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I'm familiar with the whole exchanging tanks system. . . that way you never actually "own" the tank, though - it's more on lease as I understand it. That's another benefit that you would actually own the tank. BUT you are right finding someone to fill it onsite, ontime would probably be too much of a hassle.

><
__

Good advice, GraFFix. I'll probably stick with JBJ or MILW. I think first I'll call around to welding gas suppliers first, though - it would be real nice to actually own the tank, especially that nice one!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would pass on the EBay deal. 2.5 lb tanks cost as much as a 5 lb tank to get filled in most cases.

Very few places swap 2.5 lb tanks.

Tanks need to be tested every 5 years.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
Smile Re: CO2

I think you might ask if there is still any waranty on this. Seems attractive enough everything in chrome and that is got to worth some dollar.Just do not know how it actually runs. Regards, JC.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guys: that eBay tank is a little weird. The valve on the cylinder appears to be a two-pin indexed medical oxygen post, not a standard CO2 valve. Likewise the yoke (regulator to cylinder valve connection). Someone has put a oxygen post onto a CO2 cylinder. The mind boggles.

CO2 plants do not have the ability to connect to this valve. Thankfully - "Oops, we appear to have filled some of your oxygen bottles with CO2..." A gas distributor will only fill it with oxygen, if you don't get laughed out of the shop first. I assume the only way this Frankenstein got filled in the first place was through a cobbled-together adaptor and a friend owning an extinguisher shop.

Stay away from this "deal" unless you're willing to put a CGA-320 nipple on the regulator and re-valve and re-test the cylinder. "Intended for tinkerers" is right.

Tropical Swamp Modeler
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Heh,
thanks for the warning post Bonsai. . . .but the metal is so. . . shiny. . . .puurrrrty. . . .ugly yeast sugar 2L. . . .you understand my motivations I think. Oh well, it was too asthetically pleasing to be useful.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Algae Grower

esarkipato

If all you want is a shiny aluminum tank you can by it here http://www.aquatic-store.com/ . They sell them in all different sizes. Just be sure you have a supplier that will fill the tank while you wait. Otherwise you might be trading your $60 shiny tank for a rusty dinky painted one!

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Hmm they're even on sale! Not bad, considering one would need to pay that much at a welding/gas company for a tank anyways! Thanks, JeffB.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you can find a place to fill your tank on the spot I would buy the tank from here. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml
I've never found a cheaper tank and locally I can get it filled for 10 bucks.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
i. . . .but the metal is so. . . shiny. . . .puurrrrty. . . .ugly yeast sugar 2L. . . .you understand my motivations I think.
Ohhh yeah. T'is a thing of beauty indeed, next to which my industrial regulator looks like something found lying in the horse's paddock.

I was briefly tempted, but I would have to profane its loveliness with common brass, besides which the seller won't ship to Canada...

Tropical Swamp Modeler

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode