It has finally pearled!!!!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
It has finally pearled!!!!!!!!

This week marks week 1, that I will be dosing the EI method. After doing a 50% water change, and removing almost 30% of the algae in my tank, I dosed 1/18 of KNO3, 1/8 of KH2PO4, and 1/32 of K2SO4 and within 30minutes to an hour, the rotala indica, and java fern were pearling like a glass of champaign! The other plants were also pearling but not as much.

Dry ferts rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
glad to hear it.. I didn;t know proper fertilization could bring such quick results. What is the EI methoid you're talking about?? could you shed some light on the way you dose your ferts, how much, when, water changes, ect... Im a newb and would appreteate some advice on how to does fertilizers.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The EI method is the Estimative Index that Tom Barr created, basically you dose more than usual and do large amounts of water changes.

I bought my dry ferts from www.gregwatson.com , I also bought measuring spoons so that it will be convient for me to dose. I take a small amount of water from the tank and dissolve and pour in each fert at a time.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool, I'll take a look at that "EI" methoid your talking about.. As for the ferts I was refering too, how do you know what ferts to add to existing water, and how much. Basicly I'm asking... How does one knoe how much macro nutrience and pottasium to add to the water. Nobody can have a test kits for every single minneral they add?
also, what test kits do you have on hand???

I only keep fert test kits for Nitrate and phosphate, what about you?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

You can use chuck gadd's dosing calculator. Link: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

My friend (Jason Baliban) helped me with mine.

When you are dosing the EI method, after the first few weeks you need to test the water after that, you can trash them! (j/k) in otherwards you won't need to use them. I have ammonia, ph, kh, nitriate, and nitrite, test kits. Kh and ph is used to measure the amount of co2 you have in your tank.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got the calculator, but it doesn't tell me how much to add, it only tells me how to change the ppm of ferts. If diffrent people have diffrent plant loads, they will need to add diffrent amounts of ferts right? so how do I know when to add more microse or potasium?? I know that there is a specific ppm, but without a test kit I might be doesing to much or not enough, depending on the plant load.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Depends on how big your tank is, but overall the EI method is basically estimating the amount of ferts you think you should dose. KNO3 should be added more or equal to anything esle. You can get your help at www.tombarr.com or post your questions in the water parameters section.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
you can read about EI here, no subscription required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Doh, sorry about that. I gave a wrong link, thanks Shalu for posting it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 07:15 AM

I always get 'pearling' after a water change. Even my plastic plants start pearling .

Are your plants still pearling? Maybe it was only all the dissolved gasses in the new water.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hahaha, plastic plants? thats fake pearling LOL. Nutrients is basically what makes a plant pearl, allowing them to burst our oxygen.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
John, not to discourage you or anything, but pearling after a water change is not really pearling, let me explain. The water you pour in while doing the water change has oxygen itself, so when you pour it in your tank the plants seem to be pearling right after. You can take a look at the water before you pour it in your tank, it has a lot of bubbles. But who knows, my Riccia started pearling after every waterchange and eventually all of it started pearling at lights on not only at water change.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:30 PM

It is not only nutrients that make a plant pearl, you need at least two things:

1. Light and nutrients: When the plants have enough nutrients and light, they produce oxygen as a byproduct of photosynthesis (sp?)

2. Oxygen saturation: If your water is not saturated with dissolved oxygen, the oxygen that the plants produce just dissolves, and you never see it. If your water is saturated, the oxygen can not dissolve, and forms bubbles.

The consequence of this is that if your water is for some reason saturated with oxygen, you will see lots of pearling, even if the plants are not working at full speed, and viceversa, you could have very healthy plants in an oxygen depleted water and see no pearling.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead
John, not to discourage you or anything, but pearling after a water change is not really pearling, let me explain. The water you pour in while doing the water change has oxygen itself, so when you pour it in your tank the plants seem to be pearling right after. You can take a look at the water before you pour it in your tank, it has a lot of bubbles. But who knows, my Riccia started pearling after every waterchange and eventually all of it started pearling at lights on not only at water change.
Its both man, o2 from the water change and o2 satuarion from the dry ferts that were dosed.

For the fact, tommorow is another dosing day. If my plants pearl before lights out, I don't think you would still consider it as not really pearling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode