High CO2 level fish gasping, CO2 off since last night - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
High CO2 level fish gasping, CO2 off since last night

I just got a call from my wife that the drop checker is yellow and the fish are gasping at the surface. She changed some water and put in an airstone. I don't understand why this would be. I have the lights and CO2 set to turn on at 1:00pm and off at 9:00pm. Both the light and CO2 have been off since last night and I have it set to 1-2 bubbles per second. I asked her to double check that the regulator is not bubbling and she says it wasn't. I had her unplug the regulator until I get home at 5:30. What could this be about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Guessing here but plants take in O2 when not photosynthesizing - could you have been on the razor's edge of insufficient O2?

My CO2 levels do not notably change even 12 hours after the gas flow stops.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as I'm aware the plants give off Co2 while the lights are off so that could be why your levels are still so high. Most run an air-stone over night just for that reason.

Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55G Dirted Tank Journal -

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The solenoid could have malfunctioned and is open all the time.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
As far as I'm aware the plants give off Co2 while the lights are off so that could be why your levels are still so high.
Never high enough to gas fish.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did recently switch to a tighter fitting glass lid. Maybe I should be running an airstone at night?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The solenoid could have malfunctioned and is open all the time.

The OP stated that there was no gas escaping since there were no bubbles in the bubble counter.

Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -

55G Dirted Tank Journal -

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
I did recently switch to a tighter fitting glass lid. Maybe I should be running an airstone at night?
Ah, no chance to offgas the CO2.

Snail Glades,
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Ah, no chance to offgas the CO2.
if that's the case an airstone would not produce bubbles as the pressure would build up until the water could hold no more dissolved gas,
my guess is the lid isn't that tight

how clean is the filter? debris add's to BioChemical Oxygen Demand or BOD

keeping the tank clean is a priority when runign co2,
having a clean tank lessens the BOD and allows more available oxygen for fish which is the primary reason for many fish related deaths and co2

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank is pretty new as are most of the plants and many are readjusting so there is a lot of debris and dead leaves that I have been struggling to keep up with. I am thinking I might be overfeeding as well. So I am agreeing with you that a BOD problem might exist, but it seems that in addition to cleaning up better and feeding less an airstone at night should help, or at least couldn't hurt? The lid is a standard Aqueon (I think) with only one small opening for the inlet and spraybar about 1" X 2" over a 38 gallon tank.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
The tank is pretty new as are most of the plants and many are readjusting so there is a lot of debris and dead leaves that I have been struggling to keep up with. I am thinking I might be overfeeding as well. So I am agreeing with you that a BOD problem might exist, but it seems that in addition to cleaning up better and feeding less an airstone at night should help, or at least couldn't hurt? The lid is a standard Aqueon (I think) with only one small opening for the inlet and spraybar about 1" X 2" over a 38 gallon tank.
a bubble stone will make a HUGE difference

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I lost a school of tetras and an air breathing gourami after adding a standard lid to an already high dosed CO2 tank. They'd been okay at that setting previously. There simply wasn't enough space for sufficient gas exchange.

Snail Glades,
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How did you fix the problem? Did you lose the lid and/or add an airstone?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
The tank is pretty new as are most of the plants and many are readjusting so there is a lot of debris and dead leaves that I have been struggling to keep up with. I am thinking I might be overfeeding as well.
I'm not well-versed in CO2, but throw a few ramshorns in the tank, or if you hate them, at least a couple of mystery snails. They will clean up the dead leaves (I find ramshorns better for this) and any uneaten food.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I'm not well-versed in CO2, but throw a few ramshorns in the tank, or if you hate them, at least a couple of mystery snails. They will clean up the dead leaves (I find ramshorns better for this) and any uneaten food.
Good idea. I've been trying not to let the snail population bloom in this one but maybe it would be for the best.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode