How effective is an HOB vs a canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
How effective is an HOB vs a canister filter?

On my 90 gallon community I have 3 eheims (1 classic and 2 eccos- all the largest sizes)
Right now the tank is understocked with 10 neon tetras, 9 cherry barbs, 3 SAEs, and 2 blue rams. I will probably be adding another school of small fish and adding more neon tetras.

Right Now I am setting up a 20 long shrimp tank but only have a small sponge filter and a top fin 30 for it. I am trying to decide if I want to move an eheim ecco onto the 20 gallon and then buy a aquaclear 70 for the 90 gallon, or just buy an aquaclear 50 for the shrimp tank. With the canister I can use an inline heater on the 20 and get extra filtration.

Would this be a good idea? Is it really necessary for a 20 gallon to have a canister or would an aquaclear 50 with a top fin be more than enough? If I did move it would the 90 still be over filtered?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
For reference my 20l has a sponge filter and an ac30 and it's enough. I think it's all personal preference on canisters and hobs.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If I was you, both. A canister and an HOB.

This is a 6gal shrimp tank with a planted HOB rated for 50gal and an eheim 2213 rated for 50 gal too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'm with Starr on this. It's all really preference. I prefer to run sponge filters and canisters just because the sponge is air activated and gives the shrimp more to munch on.

The topfin 30 and sponge filter should be plenty enough filtration for shrimp. Shrimp have a very low bioload compared to fish. If you plan to add other fish, you should be fine until a certain limit which would depend on the type of fish and quantity.

My preference on filtration in general is wet/dry canister sponge filter hob filter ugf. There may be other filtration I lefted out, but if I did, I probably wouldn't consider it.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

|
|
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you really want to buy a filter, I would just pick up an ac50 or a larger sponge filter.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

|
|
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would an aquaclear 70 work pretty good on the 90 gallon if I did use it to replace the canister?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantDwarfShrimp View Post
Would an aquaclear 70 work pretty good on the 90 gallon if I did use it to replace the canister?

For a 90 gal tank, 2 AC 110's would be far better.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh the 90 will still have an eheim classic and an eheim ecco even if I do move one ecco to the 20 gallon. What I am asking is would 1 aquaclear 70 be almost equivalent to 1 eheim ecco? The reason I ask is an aquaclear 70 is $1 more than an aquaclear 50 on Amazon right now. I do not thing a AC70 would fit very well onto the 20 gallon.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have an AC50 on a 20 long as well as a sponge filter. It is more than enough filtration!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
You'll be fine going that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantDwarfShrimp View Post
Oh the 90 will still have an eheim classic and an eheim ecco even if I do move one ecco to the 20 gallon. What I am asking is would 1 aquaclear 70 be almost equivalent to 1 eheim ecco? The reason I ask is an aquaclear 70 is $1 more than an aquaclear 50 on Amazon right now. I do not thing a AC70 would fit very well onto the 20 gallon.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK so I am leaning towards the Ecco on the 20 gallon and then a AC70 on the 90 gallon to replace it. The only problem with that would be less filtration and less water movement. How much would a good circulation pump cost that has the power of a canister?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

As far as filtration I agree with everybody else....pretty much personal preference. There are a few benefits of canisters/wet dry filters though. The increased water flow which was already mentioned and also the ability to have more control over the filter media. The canister gives you room to include whatever chemical, biological, or mechanical materials that you want.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use HOB's mostly because they're easier maintenance and make up for them not being quite as efficient by overfiltering. My 40L shrimp tank uses two AC50 filters.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow just found the Sunsun canister filter on ebay for $47. that only $7 more than what I was expecting to pay for an AC70 so I will just go with that. Would this be too much for a 20 gallon?

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
AC70 is $37 at Ken's Fish, FYI.

SunSuns can be great but you should also factor in the cost of replacement parts. When something fails, how much will it cost to buy a new impeller? U-tube? Power supply?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode