My new aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile My new aquarium

At last after about 2 moths of being offline i can write to you again.
I had almost finished my 65G tank and i'll soon have a picre of it.
I have 2Blue gouramis,22 neon tetras,4callistus,4corydoras aeneus,7 corydoras paleatus,11platy,1xipho,3 moly, 3 aymonieri,2 megalechis personataand 14 gupy.
My cryptocorynes had a hard time but are ok now.
My substrate is topsoil about 5 cm and 1 to 3cm of gravel.
The lights are 4*36W osram daylight and 1*Aqua-Glo(in the front.
I aso have 27 snails that do not eat most plats but they like to eat my hygrophiles(especialy hygrophila polysperma) and my mrophillum.
the filtration is made using Eheim 2215 and aqua el (fan-1 100l/h for co2)
The temperature is about 29oC(80oF)because in my room is very hot especial in smmer and my computer is on at least 8 h;also my balasts are under the aquarium .
It sounds like paradise but the algae creep in and boom.I defeated the small green algae but now the blue algaes had allied with the green spot algae and invaded my Cyptocorynes and anubias nana and bacomba and the glas
I can't keep the snail for long becuse i realy want to grow hygrophila and they seem powerless in the batle?
The water is changed weekly and if you think that i made a mistake with the topsoil then i want to tell you that the soil will not have a low redox but the gravel directly onthe top of the soil.So that's why i have so little gravel in my aquarium.

So what do you think about my aquarium?Any tips to win the war against algae will be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sounds like your well on your way to esablishing a nice planted tank...

do you use C02?? are you fertilizing?? mabey if you post some pictures it will help...

I would really like to know how the layer of top soil works out. Did it have any bad effects? did you wash it befor you put it in your tank? . Like you I'm on a limmited budjet and I can't bring myself to purchase $130 worth of flourite of eco-compleat. If you have success with the top soil, I think I might try the same thing. What kind of soil is it, and where did you get it?? what is the brand name?? I've heard of people reporting that their layer of top soil rotts under the gravel and releases stinky gas bubbles in the watter. Please keep me updated with how everything works out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There is a problem

The top soil i use is from my garden(The only fertilizers that i used on the soil was bird wastes and that was about 2years ago)The soil i my arden is a clay soil so i added some sand.I describe here what worked for me.I inspired this extraordinary idea from the book called Ecology of the planted aquaium of Diana Walstad.I recomand you read this book also but she describes there the setup with the light from the window and no co2.I adapted her method to my needs and principles.The main thing is that the soil you use DOES NOTcontain any debris(roots,leafes,etc) that's why you can't put soil from forest and i won't recomant that you put the soil that is for potting.If you can not obtin some soil fertilizer free you can put it in a recipient with water for 2-6 weeks (depens on how much matter the soil has) you can smell the sulfurated hidrogen(the bubles that usualy are in the aquarium) after this period the soil is ok (Some say that boiling it can help to reduce the amonium).Don't forget to mix the soil during this period because it will setlle down and especialy if it is as clay as mine you will not be able to get it out.
I can not say that the soil won't become anerobical(low redox) because In my first attempt i used some forest soil and the result was messy.But in my new aquarium i have no probles yet but i use some plants that put O2 in the soil(cryptocoryne and vallisneria) and vacume or stir the gravel.
I just used some fertilisers but i don't dare to put tabblets of ferilizers in the soil.And yes i use 2 bottles of DIY CO2 throw the Aqua el and sometimes in the eheim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode