For the Filstar Pimpsters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
For the Filstar Pimpsters

Just wondering what filter media you guys use in your filstars besides the mechanical. Obviously I dont want to use the absorb-chem (activated carbon) in my planted tank. Should I get some ceramic rings? Just curious. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:15 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It depends on how many baskets you have with what you should use...
Mine has 2 baskets (XP2) so in the bottom basket I use a coarse pad then a fine pad only with a couple pieces of lava rock (2") and in the top I use a fine pad on the bottom of the basket and load the rest with broken up pieces of lava rock, about 1" sized pieces.
The lava rock is very porous and you get so much more surface area for bacteria beds to grow on then with them silly ceramic rings.
When I clean the filters I just take the rock out and set it in a bucket of tank water until its time to load it back up. I rinse the pads very well and dont care about hurting bacteria on them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like Buck said, it depends on the model you have. In my XP3 I use 2 coarse pads with floss between them, middle basket 2 fine pads with floss and ceramic rings in the top basket with a fine pad on top. When cleaning I do the same, transfer the ring basket to a pail of tank water and rinse/ discard the other two .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
The bottom basket of my XP3 is loaded with 2 coarse pads and 2 medium pads. I forget what's in the middle basket, but I have three or four of the fine filter pads in the very top and a bag of ceramic rings before that. Ceramic rings would be a good idea if you don't have a high plant load. Mine will probably be taken out once the tank is ready for real planting and stocking. Right now it's a holding tank and a snail farm.

- Erik
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I like sponges for their good mechanical filtration and large poop-capacity before clogging up

Each of my two XP3 has 6 sponges, a pair of coarse, medium and fine in each of the upper basket compartments. The bottom half of the baskets are filled with noodles (since they came with the filter) and some lava rock. I don't use the fine filter pad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
thanks! I have the media filter that came with my xp1. I have a bunch of lava rocks so I guess I will use that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 AM

Uh-oh. I just set up my brand new XP-1 (and I mean 1 hour ago). I have coarse, medium and fine pads that came with it, along with the bio-chem-sorb pad. That fills up the whole basket. Since I still have my Bio-wheel filter going, my lFS told me not to remove it from the tank, but they had me buy the phos zorb pad and put it into the bio wheel filter instead of the carbon/sponge cartridge that it normally uses. (The bio wheel is still in use) Is this not the right way to use these filters?
Thanks
Quincymom

PS I have very few plants, a 30 gallon tank, about 10 small tetras, 3 dwarf loaches, 2 sparkle gouramis, 3 small otocinclus, and 5 shrimp in the tank. For CO2 I have Flourish Excel along with a "Turbo CO2 Bio System". I also have about 2 1/2 watts per gallon of lighting and Eco Complete for substrate
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

I would not use the phos zorb pad, it will only remove the phosphorus that your plants need. The only action that the filter needs to do is mechanical (course and fine pads) and biological. In an established tank biological is not as necessary in the filter as in a fish only tank. The plants and the substrate attract and hold plenty of biological colonies. Also if the plants are densely planted and established they will use any free ammonia quickly.

Sadly I have found that most lfs are mis-informed about planted tank information. I have found this site a very valuable commodity for getting reliable information for the upkeep and maintenance necessary for a successful planted tank

Also you might consider removing the bio-wheels. They are notorious for out-gassing CO2

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”

Last edited by JeffB; 07-25-2005 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Added info
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 AM

Not trying to thread jack, just wanted to ask question.

Should I not use the bag thing that came with my XP1 on a planted tank?

Adrien
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

If the bag thing is the carbon - NO
The current thinking is that the carbon is designed to remove all those nutrients that we are tirelessly dosing everyday for our plants.

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:50 AM

I'll have to break it out and see, thanks for the tip!

Adrien

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode