white fuz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
white fuz

im a new tank owner and still learning everything about a planted tank, but ive had my tank up and running for about a week and tonight i happen to take a good look at my driftwood and realizzed there is whoite fuz all over it.......any idea's should i be worried

its a low light tank with about 6 new plants in it and five fish if that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
That's pretty much standard with driftwood. The white fuzz you see is a fungus and it will go away on its own or as your critters in your tank eat it.

If your tank is just a week old, did you cycle it before adding fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

omg i acually didnt and i read about it too a wile ago, i went to a fish store (not petco, a real fish store that does nothing but fish) and know one said anything about that to me all they did was give me a EasyStart beneficial bacterial booster which i add on day 1,7,14

i tried to take my time and just not throw fish in without finding out everything, but did i just miss a key step and will i be able to rebound from it without loosing any fish

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)
What fish did you get? Did you get a test kit? Are there any plants in the tank? What size tank is it?

The beneficial bacteria is a good start, but you usually want to cycle a tank before adding fish, unless you do cycle with fish.

We don't inherit this world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

If you added a bacterial starter, it's possible your fish will be fine.

What are your tank's dimensions? If it's a standard tank, what size is it (gallons)?

What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

What kind of filter are you using?

If you have a liquid test kit, what are your tank's parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If you don't have a liquid test kit, GET ONE ASAP. It's your best friend when making sure your fish are okay.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have a 55 gal tank 6 plants good peice of driftwood and 5 fish
albino bristlenose
angel
2 swordtails
and rainbow shark

and ill be adding more plants soon to help with the cycle

i have a magnum canister filter w no carbon in it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Do you have a test kit? You need to check your parameters right away.

You also need to prepare for the likelihood that you'll have to find a home for your fish until your tank cycles.

Please search this forum for information about cycling the tank and the fishless cycle. Ammonia and Nitrite can be deadly.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do a big water change the new water will help your fish and your cycle.

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)
Keep adding your bacteria as per what is says on the bottle. What kinda plants do you have in there now and what do you plan on getting? Floating plants will be a great help right now for you, as they are heavy feeders. See if you can get a couple leaves of water sprite and just let them float in your tank.

You do need to get a test kit, (API master kit is what you need) and test your water. You need to test it about every day. Get a notepad and keep it next to your tank. Every test write down the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. The ph isn't as important, just as long as it stays fairly stable.

We don't inherit this world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode