safely stoned - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
safely stoned

Just a question to pose to you all. I am going to be setting up another 29 gallon tank and it will be aquascaped as my show tank. I was wondering about rocks. I have seen articles that say some rocks can change the water (raise the hardness) and I can understand that. I know that slate is ok since alot of you use slate for spawning. what about granite or even terra-cotta. I live close to both a landscaping store (where I can get broken terra-cotta for next to nothing) and a gravestone/monument shop (so the same goes for granite and maybe even small scraps of marble.) just wondering if these kinds of stone would be ok for a tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Granite and terra-cotta are ok, but stay away from the mable. Marble is metamorphosed limestone and will increase your water hardness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Granite, etc.

Speaking as a retired geologist - granite will be fine, but there are a lot of stones sold as granite! Fortunately, all that I am aware of share pretty much the same composition - quartz, one or more feldspars, mica, and a pyroxene or amphibole (dark minerals in linear crystals). You might want to check out a book from the library on minerals and see if those are the minerals you see in the rock. Syenite is also sold as granite - it is similar but lacks quartz and instead has nepheline or a similar mineral. Gabbro, diorite, monzonite, granodiorite - these are also members of th granite family.

There is often no relation between a rock's commercial name and its actual ID!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used granite- at least what I thought was granite without any probs. The tough thing with rocks is that many of us don't have the extensive knowledge that allows us to just look at them and know that they are safe. No worries though because we can use Muriatic Acid to test the rock. It is probably even sold at the same place that has the rock (commonly used to clean the rocks off and make them shiny I think). Take some of that acid and put in on the rock you like. If it doesn't fizz then it's safe if it does then move on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode