Help in setting up 125gal. in Memory of my Son - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Help in setting up 125gal. in Memory of my Son

Approximately a year ago, while searching fish sites, I came across planted tanks and stated to study them. My son Kevin used to stop at my house, on the way home from work, and also took up an intrest in them.

After awhile Kevin moved in with me, and he started to search sites on his own. It was an idea of his, for him and I to start a planted tank of our own.
We had to go out of town in November, but we were going to start one, as soon as we got back.

Unfortunately the night before we were to go out of town, I got the tragic news, Kevin was killed in a car accident. I am going to do this tank, and post my progress, as a journal, under photo album. This is in memory af my son and dear friend Kevin.
http://www.goshennews.com/news/files...004/news3.html

I am open to any and all ideas, suggestions, and comments. I will post later tonight, or tomorrow, what all I have for the tank.
Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:34 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope the tank becomes a cherished 'keepsake' for you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
That is very tragic Glenn, Its not very often , but I find myself speechless.
I think what you want to do would be good for the soul and be a great reminder of how prescious life is. I look forward to your journal and will surely try to help you in your venture.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Let me know what I can do. I would be honored to be part of your project. I have plants for you whenever you need them.
jB
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
What can we say, Glenn? Such a tragedy. My thoughts are with you.

I think we would all be delighted to help you with project. It sounds like a great way to work through things.

If you need any help, or grief references, please feel free to PM me.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks piscesgirl, Buck, Jason, and Mike for the kind words. Its a very empty, helpless feeling, to loose a child.

Here is the used tank package I got.
125 gal. acrylic 18"x 60" 24" with black background
Black acrylic stand and hood
6- 65 watt with dual daylight 10,000 x 6,700 k
2- 32 watt with dual daylight 10,000 x 6,700 k
Eheim 2128 and 2026
Dupla 500 substrate heater with controller
Eco-complete ( from new batch much finer than old kind)
Coralife 18 watt UV
JBJ Co2 regulator and Milwaukee controller
Aqua Medic 1000 reactor

I also have a 75 gal. I set up a few months ago. I can use plants from it. I would like to find a nice size piece, of driftwood with branches. I have a small Anubia Nana Petite( would like to get a few more), small Windelow Fern, a few Bolbitus Heudelotii Ferns, and lots of Christmas Moss.

I have the tank set up, and am starting to take pictures. I hope to get the journal started this weekend.
Glenn

Last edited by aquaticslive; 07-24-2005 at 03:49 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Glenn, I am sorry for your lost. We are here to help your tank be a sucess in memory of your son.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:03 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful way to keep his memory alive.
Suffice it to say you should never need to buy any plants. Just let us know what you want/need, and I suspect after a pm or 2 it will end up on your doorstep.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am sorry to hear of your loss, and my thoughts are with you also.

I cannot help you too much with obtaining plants as I have just started out myself, but I do live in Fort Wayne (what a small world) and I can recommend some LFS's for you, just ask. Petland, next to Glenbrook Mall, has a good selection of large pieces of Malaysian driftwood right now, but these aren't very branchy and therefore might not be what you are looking for, however the size would be great for a 125. The other LFS's that I prefer don't have many good pieces of driftwood so you might have to find some in local ponds or rivers. I have a pond close to me with willows surrounding it and I will look around it this weekend for you if you would like. The tank sounds amazing and I can't wait to see pictures of it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Glenn, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I would be happy to contribute some cuttings to your project gratis. A very worthwhile endeavor and a celebratioin of his life. Feel free to pm me, and I can tell you what I can send.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would like to send some HC for this tank, free of charge, if you decide to use it as a groundcover. As a father of a 22 month-old, I can't even imagine what you've been through.

John P.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:13 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very sorry for your loss, i can just imagine what that would be like. I used to live in Elkhart, IN, just recently moved down to SC and i recall a store around goshen but cant remember exactly where it was located, but they always had huge amounts of driftwood, i know it was close to the university park mall. I hope your tank works out very well for you, it sounds like you definately are starting it out right! If you need any help or anything feel free to PM me.
Best Regards,
Nate
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the kind words, and offers.

John,
I had some of your HC in my 75 gal. I transfered it over to the 125 gal. Its doing much better in the 125 gal.
baj sent me some HC to replace what I took out of the 75 gal. Thanks, baj.

Here is link to journal I started on it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20489

Any ideas will be helpful.

Glenn
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm so sorry for your loss -- like John P., I'm a parent of a toddler and can only imagine what you must be going through. I hope this project brings you a feeling of closeness and peace as you remember your son and think about how much he would have enjoyed this tank. What a lovely tribute to him.

When you're ready to start planting the tank, can you please post a list of what you're looking for in terms of plants, inverts, odds-and-ends of equipment, etc.? I'm sure that there are many of us who would be honored to contribute to your project if we have things that you might be able to use -- and perhaps knowing that many of the plants in your tank came from the good will of others who may not have known your son, but were touched by your story and wanted to lend support will be nice, too.

All best wishes for a beautiful tank. [EDITED TO ADD: I see from the link above that you're already planting and it's coming along beautifully -- but please do post a wish list just the same! I know many of us would love to help if we can.]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode