Cycling a new tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling a new tank.

Hey, I've recently got a new tank from a car boot sale, it is a 75litre mirabello tank with a aquarium systems heater, filter and light. But I'm still to add gravel and a background.

I was wondering if what I'm doing is correct. I've added aquasafe yesterday and today have added Nutrafin Cycle, as I really want to move my fish into the new tank. I have 3 plants with it (See picture attached), is it ok to have them in the tank?
Thanks Guys

Tank:

Stock Picture of my tank.

Plants:

Last edited by Darkadam; 10-17-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

I've never tried to do the instant cycle in a bottle thing, but if I did I'd keep the fish on starvation rations and do daily water tests to make sure that the ammonia stayed at zero (and I'd keep testing until enough nitrate showed up to convince me that the tank was really cycled).

Last edited by Jules; 10-17-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I don't need a reason
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Funny thing... we just had a discussion about this in Rob's scape thread, now we can actually put it to use here! First of all, how long ago is "recent?"

The majority of the community (myself included) strongly feels that you shouldn't just toss in your fish into an uncycled tank.

If there hasn't been enough time for the bacteria that process ammonias and nitrates in your water to colonize and begin a healthy cycle, then you might have mass deaths or high levels of stress in your fish.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
First off, you have to be patient. We all want to get those new fish and get them in the tank. Do this prematurely, and they will die. Second, I wouldn't use those bacteria in a bottle things to cycle your tank. They will end up showing you signs of the cycle, and even the completion of the cycle. But as soon as you add fish to the tank, you will end up with a mini-cycle and your fish will die. The best thing to do is find someone with an established fish tank and ask them to give you some of their filter media and a few cups of gravel. This will speed up your cycle the correct way. The only chemical you should ever use is Prime to condition your tap water.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
The best thing to do is find someone with an established fish tank and ask them to give you some of their filter media and a few cups of gravel. This will speed up your cycle the correct way.

So should I squeeze out my old filter media from my 35l?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Member

yes absolutely, assuming its still wet. It will speed your cycle tremendously. All the expensive crap you buy in a bottle is "maybe/perhaps/sometimes/if it hasn't died" the same stuff that is already in your established filter.

I wouldn't squeeze it out though, just move some of the media from the old filter into the new one
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're in the great position of being able to choose your substrate, and I would read up about the different choices on the Internet. I would like to have a substrate with nutrients in it. I think there is a forum on substrates here.

As far as cycling goes, I like the "no-cycle", or "jump-in-the-water" cycle. You use lots of fast-growing plants like stem plants and they take care of the ammonia. You can put a reasonable amount of fish in the first day. Probably very important to ask around to see if your lighting is adequate.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Are you going to keep your establish tank up and running and stocked? If not then move the entire filter over and you won't need to worry about cycling the new one.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How come no one mentioned the plants?

The first one is the only plant that is fully AQUATIC. The other 2 I believe are semi aquatic plants and only the roots should be submerged in water.

With the NutraFin Cycle bottle. Make sure you SHAKE it up really well for at least 30-60 seconds before dosing your filter with it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The first one is the only plant that is fully AQUATIC. The other 2 I believe are semi aquatic plants and only the roots should be submerged in water.

With the NutraFin Cycle bottle. Make sure you SHAKE it up really well for at least 30-60 seconds before dosing your filter with it.
I think theyre all fully aquatic as they were all submerged at pets at home
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I can put my goldfishy right in? I've just added nutrafin cycle in my filter (While shaking for 30 seconds, thank you MSG) .
I'm still a noobie so I have no idea what to do.
Thanks
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkadam View Post
I think theyre all fully aquatic as they were all submerged at pets at home
Nope, petstores routinely show non-aquatic plants fully submerged in their plants tanks. These plants can survive for a few weeks to a month or so fully submerged, but they will eventually rot and die. They get away with doing this as enough customers blame themselves for "killing" the plant and just buy more (or give up on live plants and buy the really expensive fakes to replace 'em).

Pull 'em now or wait til they decay--but once they start to go, pull 'em fast. Having a bunch of rotting plant mass is *not* good for the health of your tank.

Last edited by Knotyoureality; 10-17-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: ocd
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Planted Member

^^^

Despicable but all to true. Was at Petco the other day and literally 75% of the plants they had for sale were non-aquatic semi-aquatic. Also they had zero easy low light fast growers like wisteria, water sprite, anacharis.

I just don't understand this. Making people frustrated with a hobby that you sell supplies for seems like a bad business plan.

Stock stuff that people will have success with and get/stay excited with the hobby seems like better business plan.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Are you going to keep your establish tank up and running and stocked? If not then move the entire filter over and you won't need to worry about cycling the new one.
I cant move the whole filter over, so what else do i have to do before adding my fish?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
You have to cycle your tank before you add fish.

Search the forum for "fishless cycle" - it will also give you tons of other information that you'll need to know, as someone new to planted tanks. In short, a fishless cycle is one in which you add an ammonia source to act as food for the bacteria colony you want to build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
cycling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode