New tank - 160 Litres - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank - 160 Litres

hey all,

I've been running my first tank for the last 6 weeks or so. I picked it up 2nd hand, and pretty cleaned the entire tank out and started again. I recently decided to go for a more natural look, and sold the pirate ship that came with the tank and bought a bunch more plants.

Anyway, I had a few questions:

Despite my best efforts, one of the plants obviously had a small snail. I've taken close 80 out in the last 3 days, and more are still in the tank. What is the best solution to this?

My tank currently has:
10 Neons tetras
3 dwarf Gouramis
5 Golden danios,
4 albino cordydorous
1 pepper corydorous
2 sucking catfish
3 baby (1.5inch) discus fish,
4 male guppies,
2 khuli loaches (havent seen one of them for a 2 weeks, might be dead)
4 blind cave fish.

Do you think the tank is over populated yet?

Finally, I have attached some photos of the tank. I was wondering if i should add a CO2 system for my plants yet?

Regards

the-asp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0671.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	55443  

Name:	IMAG0672.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	55444  

Name:	IMAG0673.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	55445  

Name:	IMAG0674.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	55446  

Name:	IMAG0675.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	55447  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like you have a juvenile discus fish in there?
Picture #4

Edit: just noticed where you said you have 3.
Yes I would say overstocked esp when the discus grow out. Btw what temp are you running the tank at?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

i live in the tropics, so I don't use a heater. Its around 30 degrees C here every day.

I know the gravel is ridiculous, but its what came with the tank and gravel is very expensive here. When I do a full clean-out, ill replace it with something better.

other than that, what do you think about a co2 system? the water around here is about a 7.3 naturally, and I use a little bit of PH down on it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Though this thing isn't perfect, try using this online aquarium calculator: http://www.aqadvisor.com

You insert your tank size/dimensions, the filtration, then the amount of fauna you have and it'll tell any warnings it thinks (ie: shoaling fish not having enough fish in it, aggressive fish, or in your case possible over population)

For the other things you mentioned, I'll give my 2 cents from what I've experienced and from what I learned from these boards:

- Don't use PH down
- Don't worry about your PH being 7.3 I rather it 7.3 then trying to artificially make it go down which will stress out your fish and not be a constant
- Don't consider getting PH for the main reason to lower PH (the main reason would be for plants)

- Do consider lowering the PH with natural buffers such as driftwood, peat, or substrate that has a peat in it that will lower the PH.
- Do consider c02 if you aren't satisfied with your plant growth or if you want to try something new

If your plants are doing fine and you're happy with them, then don't bother with c02. The hardest part of this hobby is to leave things alone and appreciate what you have - if you're just bored and want to spend money to make your tank different, you could just try adding some cheap/free driftwood or change the aquascape a bit. Adding c02 is expensive (and you complained about the cost of substrate which is cheaper than a whole injected c02 setup and will help plants grow a lot) so I wouldn't worry about doing it if you're happy with your tank and plants.

For your snail problem, try not overfeeding. What's overfeeding? Feeding every single day, feeding so much that it hits the ground (though I guess you have corys so you may intentionally do it). But snail population will get out of hand if you're overfeeding. I'd suggest feeding 2-3 days then skipping 1 day. They could go many days (some say weeks) without food but they're our pets so we feel obligated to feed them all the time, but just lay off a bit and it'll be healthy for them and your snail population will hopefully not explode too much.

Last edited by fusiongt; 10-17-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

hey, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated.

I've been researching the CO2 system, and it appears you cannot get anything under about $300 in Darwin and refilling is even worse.

The aquarium stocker thingy said im pretty much on the money for population, but I'll hit 120% when the discus grow up. I think a few fish will be moved on well before then.

I've recently picked up some driftwood today to put in the tank, I love the look of it.

The leaving the tank alone idea will be a bit hard, but I can't fit anymore fish in, and I think im hitting the limit for plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode