Tips neede for my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Tips neede for my tank

Here are the pictures of my 20 Long taken just 10 minutes ago. http://www.darksyntax.com/newt/

The lights on top is a Coralife Aqualight Freshwater T5 (2 - 18W bulbs). I am trying a quick temp fix to my lighting by adding a strip light (20W GE Plant & Aquarium bulb) until I figure out a more perminant lighting arrangement. I want to be able to get a pretty dense tank for my newts so I am looking at eventually doing ground cover type stuff. Right now I am doing water changes about a gallon a day because I am trying to solve this thin oil film that is getting on the top of the water. I am also dosing the tank once a week with Flourish.

Lastly, a Cascade 700 is a brand of canister filter. I am running CO2 injection directly into the intake line. There are two 2 Liter Bottles of CO2 mixture. Also does current matter on a planted tank?

As far as PPM and water conditions, I have to get it re-tested and have not got around to it yet. Next time I have time is probably thursday.

Suggestions welcome on lighting fixtures? Another question is, my plants get this dirty film on them (primarily the java moss and java fern) How do you remedy this? Also tips on how to improve growth of my plants. Look @ pics since they speak louder then words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
First off, what does your budget allows you to do or limits you? I think I saw a foil sheet somewhere in the back of the tank. Surface scum can be taken care of by getting a surface scum remover since you are using an external filraation system.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...13892/cid/3869
as you are probably aware there are more to planted tank than just the lighting. Substrate, CO2. Regards, JC.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Yep. I got eco-complete substrate as bottom layer with a layer of gravel mixed with laterite. I added more plants and the brown algae is gone so far. I added another strip light and that seemed to do the trick. All plants are pearling now

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Before you do anything you need to readdress your stand. It looks like your tank is over hanging the stand by 3-4 inches on each side. That not good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You are going to have 20 gallons on the floor soon. You need a new stand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
You are going to have 20 gallons on the floor soon. You need a new stand

I was thinking the exact same thing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

I have a stand being built right now by a family friend. The tank is fine right now on the current stand. It only hands off each end by about an inch and it is fully supported everywhere else by the dresser it is sitting on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmestad
I have a stand being built right now by a family friend. The tank is fine right now on the current stand. It only hands off each end by about an inch and it is fully supported everywhere else by the dresser it is sitting on.
That is not good at all, the tank needs to be supported on all edges, you are creating pressure points where the tank hangs over the edge

|
|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Ya, It is something I cant really fix right now. The new stand is going to be ready in a week and a half.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
can you cut a piece of plywood to put under it for now? atleast one thing you have going is that the tank is only 3/4 full.

I think you solved your problem with the dirty film by adding the other light, but if you still get dirt settling onthe plants try putting the spray bar in a different spot. There are really no current requirements for a planted tank, you don't want a current that will uproot plants, but you certainly need some circulation.

As far as the lights go, what's the budget and what type of plants do you want to keep? are you planning on upgrading to a pressurized co2 system?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I am running 2 Corallife T5 lights that is 4 * 18W = 72W which is about 4.8WPG (have only about 15 gallons in the tank). I probably wont upgrade to pressurized CO2 just because of the recurring costs it has. The only problem I am having now is a protein film on the top of the water. Someone suggested a surface skimmer to rid the problem. Question on the film though, does it hurt my plants at all (restrict light)?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode