Do You Add Dechlor for Tank Size or WC Amount? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do You Add Dechlor for Tank Size or WC Amount?

Just reading up on the following thread (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4&page=3&pp=15), and it reminded me of something I read a while back that I've been mulling over (see the Title). The comment from way back when was something to the effect that even if you add only a very small amount of new water, unless there is enough dechlor for the whole tank size, the 'bad stuff' might not be neutralized. In my thinking though if that were the case, why wouldn't the sellers of dechlor have you add enough for the whole tank every time so as to drive up consumption and, indirectly, their profits?

Several in the other thread implied they added enough for the whole tank. Personally, I've just been adding enough to match the water change (typically 50%). So, what are the opinions of others on this one??

Brian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I also add enough for the water change, I still use buckets so I add the chem. to the bucket stir it around before I dump it into the tank. I think that adding enough to treat the entire tank is over kill and a waste of chemicals. I have been doing it this way for 10 years and have never seen any ill effedcts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I add enough just for the water change as well. I use SeaChem Prime and haven't had any problems from doing it this way. FWIW...

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I add enough for water change volume to the tank directly.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I use Prime and add my water straight to the tank. I add enough for the total water volume as per the Seachem directions. Sure it might cost twice as much. But if one were to say buy a 2 liter bottle of Pond Prime from Big Al's (twice as strong as regular Prime) and use that your total cost of a 25 gallon weekly water change (for the Prime) would be $0.02. If I only treated the amount of water I was changing it would run me $0.01. Now if I'm walking down the street and see a penny laying on the sidewalk I don't pick it up. So I'm not going to worry about spending a penny more each week to do my water changes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I use Prime and add my water straight to the tank. I add enough for the total water volume as per the Seachem directions.
Hmmm. Do I use Prime or Amquel now? I stepped up to one of them not too long ago. Maybe I'll need to go re-read the directions on my bottle.

I, too, dose straight into my tank while my python refills. I can see how premixing in an external container would certainly allow for using only the WC amount.

Cost is certainly not an issue. But, I also don't want to dump in too much of something into the tank that might then lead to some other side effect. Not likely, I guess, with a dechlor solution.

This is largely just another case of me wanting to understand things better. Thanks for the replies!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I just add enough for the water change amount....usually 60% of the tank so about 5-6 ml of prime as I'm using the python to put water back in.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I add the amount just for the water changed but often wondered if that was really adequate. I don't think my water is heavily chlorinated so it may not matter in my case. I add the stuff to the incoming water stream periodically as I'm filling and it makes me feel better even though I know the effect is negligible. Actually, since I tend to do large water changes, and it requires attentiveness to count out the proper amounts of drops to add, I tend to overdose the stuff out of laziness.

If my water had a high concentration of nasty chemicals, I would probably be much more careful and either dose the entire tank or premix in a bucket (and if I were changing less than a hundred gallons at a time ).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:07 PM

I also follow the directions on the Prime bottle and dose the entire tank when doing a water change with the python.

I do have other tanks that are out of reach of the python that I use the bucket method for and I only dose the amount of the water change.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:36 AM

I treat the water before I add it to the tank based on the volume of water I'm changing. I treat it in the bucket, let it stand usually for a day, then change it.

Its always worked good for me.

I'm new to the planted tank but I've done freshwater community tanks for years and have about 2 years with a reef tank ( though the reef now runs off the RO unit I installed so is no longer treated tap water )
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
BSS

Well, I finally got a chance to take a good look at my dechlor today. I do have the Seachem Prime product. And, sure enough, as Rex stated, it said to use enough for the whole tank IF you dose straight into the tank. It was down in the instructions, and I likely glossed over that part after reading the first half about dosing per the volume of the water change.

So, at of today, I'm now dosing based on the tank volume since I use a Python and just add water and dechlor straight into the tank.

Thanks for the comments, all!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
someone above mentioned they add the Prime (or whatever brand I guess) to the water (in the tank, after the draining) prior to the refill part. Is that really necessary or is it just as good to add the Prime immediately after? I have never had problems with doing it after, but could always switch my ways

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
BSS

FWIW, I usually pour the Prime into the Python water stream shortly after I start adding tap water back into the tank. So, I drain, start the refill, add the dechlor, finish the refill.

IMO, the "stuff" in the dechlor isn't going to immediately come into contact with the "stuff" in the tap water. So, if the difference in time between adding the dechlor before refilling versus after refilling isn't too great, I don't believe you would see much difference. Perhaps there is a theoretical argument stating you should have the dechlor 'waiting' for the new tap water. But practically, I'd be surprised to hear there is a difference.

So, someone, please surprise me !
Brian.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode