Amazon swords in hard alkaline water with salt? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question Amazon swords in hard alkaline water with salt?

Read that amazon swords can do quite well with hard alkaline water, bright lights, co2 and adding 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 galloon of water.

Anyone have any experience with this?

This is the link to that article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
What you are mentioned, light, CO2 and maganesium sulfate are essential to any plants but also what you used for substrate. Regards, JC.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's an interesting article. I would have to disagree with his statement that most plants cannot be kept in the alkaline waters necessary for Africans. I've kept a wide variety of plants in my mbuna tank with a KH of 12-14 and a GH of 16-18. I would not recommend the use of NaCl salt because it is very hard on many plants. I use CO2 injection on my tank (and buffer the water with sodium bicarbonate to keep the hardness at 12-14 dKH), which drops the pH down to 7.2 at 30ppm CO2 but I have acclimated my Africans to this pH and they show no signs of stress and are still breeding like crazy.

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis
I've kept a wide variety of plants in my mbuna tank with a KH of 12-14 and a GH of 16-18. I would not recommend the use of NaCl salt because it is very hard on many plants. I use CO2 injection on my tank (and buffer the water with sodium bicarbonate to keep the hardness at 12-14 dKH), which drops the pH down to 7.2 at 30ppm CO2 but I have acclimated my Africans to this pH and they show no signs of stress and are still breeding like crazy.
One word to describe your 125 gallon tank: WOW Sure beats most winning tanks at the AGA competition.

When CO2 drops the pH to 7.2, what are the GH and KH readings?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks

KH and GH are unaffected by the lowering of the pH by the CO2 injection and remain at 12-14 dKH and 16-18 dGH, thus allowing the water to remain alkaline even though it is becoming less basic.

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I disagree with many things on the article and have support my contentions.

PO4 does not cause algae(someone is a decade behind the times on that one), plants grow very well at GH's of 24-25, I had tap like that for a few years, taste bad to drink, but plants grew very well.

Sort of funny about swords not liking hard waters......I collected and extended the known range of Echinordorus berteroi in the Santa Ynez River system by about 30 miles, previously it was only documented from Lake Chachuma in Santa Barbara County CA. The water there is beyond anything you will find in either Rift lake. Some soda lakes might compare.

GH's were well above 800ppm and pH's were over 9.
This is the only CA native sword plant. It also occurs in Mexico and elsewhere.

If it does not like those conditions, why does it grow there naturally?

Rift lake's salt content is much less NaCl.
People here salt, and they think NaCl.

Most of the ions in the lakes are actually plant nutrients:
K+
CO3/HCO3(a form of inorganic carbon many plants can use)
Mg
Ca
SO4

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis
Thanks

KH and GH are unaffected by the lowering of the pH by the CO2 injection and remain at 12-14 dKH and 16-18 dGH, thus allowing the water to remain alkaline even though it is becoming less basic.
Hey Travis,

Can I have your plants list? May be I can benefit from your experience.

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode