seeking input on used tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
seeking input on used tanks

Just looking for some input.

Think $400 is a good deal for a 125 long with stand, canopy, glass lids, and a couple hob's that I'd prolly never use?
I could get a 125 Tall with a stand, canopy, and fluval fx5 for $500

tank 1 doesn't come with lighting, tank 2 has standard fish only lighting.

the first tank has light scratches on the stand, but that could be sanded and re stained/sealed. The 2nd tank has black caulk in the seams, and no scratches in the wood that i saw.

Tank 1 $400

Tank 2 $500

Or should i get a smaller/cheaper one so I can afford more addons from the start for it?

"A fish tank isn't a pet, it's a t.v. that you gotta feed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think you could get a better deal if you wait. Depends on how quick you are wanting a tank. The black caulk would annoy me i think. If the blue gravel and sunken ship comes with the tank..... then its a steal LOL

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
i got one 125g for 300 with everything on clist
other was 100 but needed to be reseamed

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The long is tall enough, I imagine the tall is even taller. Are you planning on planting it? Depth to work in the tall would be even more work than the long and lighting deeper becomes an issue. The FX5 is a nice addition though as they run what 300 alone?

You could probably get a better deal if you wait but it may not come along for 6 months or next week or a year. For reference, I got a 125long, very similar stand to the first one, with hood, 4xT12 light fixture, glass top, 20gal acrylic sump, bio balls, mag drive 18 pump, all the plumbing needed for $300 but it was a must sell, leaving the country deal.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd give $300-350 for the 125g standard in a heart beat to bad it's to far away I could always use another...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wouldnt worry about growing plants in the taller one as long as you have a good quality light fixture. That amount of depth wont matter, so dont let that put you off.
The main thing is, are you happy with that price ? If the answer is yes then offer $50 less and see what they say. At the end of the day im sure people have paid the same or more for the same setups and are happy with it. If its going to annoy you in a month that you paid the amount you did then wait for a better deal...... which there most always is :-)

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
I think you could get a better deal if you wait. Depends on how quick you are wanting a tank. The black caulk would annoy me i think. If the blue gravel and sunken ship comes with the tank..... then its a steal LOL
lol, yep, tank 2 comes with everything in the picture, the ship is pretty cool
Not quite sure what I'd do with 100 pounds of blue rocks though.....

People in this area do think highly of their tanks it seems, the average 55 gallon combo is around 200 on craigslist. i saw one for 500,

I was wondering about lighting in the taller one, but it is only 4" taller. (according to some aquarium size chart i found)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you all for the input by the way.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
The long is tall enough, I imagine the tall is even taller. Are you planning on planting it? Depth to work in the tall would be even more work than the long and lighting deeper becomes an issue.

If you were planning and committed to Angel fish or Discus the tall would be nice. I prefer the longer low tanks for plants and most other fish. I think there is just more versatility with the long tanks. Only you know your space/foot print restrictions.

As for used refinish issues with real wood are a small issue scratched glass is major (to me). Used filters & lights are a nice plus, and good as a back-up if you decided to go a different way.

In ChicagoLand $1 to $1.25 per gallon Max used gets bought & sold. People trying to get retail for used tanks are delusional. I've bought breeder/grow out quality tank from .25 to .50 a gallon.

Obviously $$$ depends on were you live.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While you are thinking this over carefully, there might be one other thing to keep in mind. Craigslist is most likely going to be first come /first serve. That means if it is a real bargain, it does not pay to wait. When I sell things, it does not pay to try to haggle. I set the price right and then the first guy with money in hand buys it. The hagglers come back and tell their sad story about wanting to buy it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode