Vacation Question - Algae Eaters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vacation Question - Algae Eaters

We will be taking a two-week vacation in the near future, and have a few questions about tank management/feeding while we're away. We currently have an Amano tank stocked primarily with algae eaters (assortment of Otocinclus, Siamese Algae Eaters, Albino Bushy Nose Plecos and Angelicus Loaches; approx 12 total at this point). We previously had both warm water tropical and fancy goldfish tanks and were away on numerous ocassions for up to a week. We used the slow release type of feed desgined specifically for long absences (different types for each tank, of course) and everything was fine.

Here are the basics of our current Amano tank: 55 gallon, Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter, SolarMax 48" Double T5 Light System - 28W x 4, and Pressurized CO2. The plants are Dwarf Baby Tears on Malaysian Driftwood, and Dwarf Hair Grass on Fluval Plant + Shrimp Substrate. We use Yamato Green fertilizer and currently we have it set up for 8 hours of light per day. We've had it up and running for about 7 months, so it is relatively established. It runs brilliantly and we've had absolutely no issues recently.

Having someone check on the tank, or feed the fish in our absence, isn't an option. Is there any type of slow-release food that is appropropriate for these type of fish? Given that they are mostly algae eaters, and that the tank is estabished, I've been told they can survive for quite a while without any supplemental feed. We currently drop a few Hikari sinking wafers in the tank every couple of days, but if there is a slow release option we would like to use that as well while we're gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Vacation Tank Care

Hello NY...

You have a pretty involved setup. I keep large, planted tanks and when I get ready to go on vacation, I feed a little more for a couple of weeks before I leave. A couple of days before vacation, I do a larger than normal water change, say half the tank's volume. After the change, I stop all feeding. Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food with no problem. If you feed a little more a couple of weeks prior to leaving, the fish will have a little fat reserve to get them by.

Typically, I have someone to check in on my place and tanks, but if that's not an option, then do a thorough check of things a few days prior to leaving and your tank should be fine.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
It might be possible to mess your tank up just enough to grow some algae for them to eat.....maybe more light? It will take some research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
ZooMed makes a giant green & white algae tablet that is supposed to last 14 days, I'm considering one for my rcs/crs tank the best time I go away.

Anyone ever use these?

Edit: they have them at petco, haven't seen them at petsmart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
welllllll u could drop a few flakes of food in and turn ur co2 off, let the light stay on and u'll have all sorts of stuff growing, or realize that the suckermouth type fish will eat biofilm and will likely survive the vacation i good condition. i do not feed my 9 otos in my 29 gallon anthing, they suck biofilm and are all fat

SAE's that's a little tricky as they eat mulm and debris off of things, but can likely eat some biofilm. a feed block isn't a bad idea but u don't have to go over the top

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
How about an electric feeder????

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
How about an electric feeder????
Those never work

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 AM

If you have an auto fish feeder that would be helpful feeding the BB being as the bioload on the tank will be next to nothing once you remove the fish and rotting fish food is a good producer of ammonia. The only issue I can see is if you leave the algae eater in there and a feeding block then the BB will die off due to the drop in waste that will be produced from the other fish. Definitely do not turn off your filter because your water will go stagnant. That is about all I can think of at the moment in Rentals at vacation.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Avoid ALL holiday blocks, any plan is better than that.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
if possible,separate the BN. Mine eats my hygro if she doesn't have fresh zucchini. that might be an individual things,but best to be prepared.or perhaps remove any temple hygro you might have.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Those never work

Which one(s) are you referring to? I have an Eheim electric feeder and it seems to work fine when I go on vacation for a week or two. Of course, that being said, I still get someone to come by every so often to check on the fish.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Which one(s) are you referring to? I have an Eheim electric feeder and it seems to work fine when I go on vacation for a week or two. Of course, that being said, I still get someone to come by every so often to check on the fish.
I have a cheap Chinese one I picked up off eBay as an experiment... been running flawlessly for 2 years now. Hardest part is testing before I leave to make sure the batteries are working...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Planted Member

I tried an automatic feeder 6 or 7 years ago on my discus tank.... with discus I had grown to like 6" myself. I went out of the country for a few weeks, set up the feeder, and then had my gf check the tank twice a week. (she didn't live with me, most she could really do at the time).

On her second visit, she found that the feeder had somehow fallen in the tank... killed all of the discus. Easily $1k worth of fish.

I will NEVER use automatic feeders or block food again. Now that's a very extreme example... but really, there's just no point to be bothered with them. It isn't necessary.

Just feed them heavy for two weeks prior, do a large water change, and let them be. Fish go weeks without food in the wild all the time. I absolutely agree with what was already said. Also, because they're algae eaters, there's more than likely enough food in the tank--even if you can't see it. If gone for more than a week or so, find someone to help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode