How many ottos & gups in 8 gals? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many ottos & gups in 8 gals?

I was at a lps (one which I don't go to often since they're fish are in poor conditions) and I actually saw some tiny little ottos! I was so excited! The lfs has never had them in the past 4 or so months I've been going there. I only bought 2 since I don't know how many my tank will hold. They're such diligent little algae eaters And they cost about the same as guppies (about $2)

My tank is an 8 gal moderately planted and 50% WC each week. If I could, I'd like to have 3 ottos but with the 1cm/litre rule that works out to only 5 guppies. This seems so little. Could I safely stock more? (The ottos should grow to be about 3.7cm)

And could someone help me figure out if I have 2 males or is 1 a female? I don't know how plump, plump is for an otto

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

Actually, its more like 0.67 cm/l converting from 1 inch / Gal (US). While on the subject, many of local aquarists in Hong Kong and Taiwan claimed that the book The Optimum Aquarium suggested a 1cm / litre guideline, but I found that its a mistake on the translation which has never been corrected (who doesn't want to keep more?), the original guideline is 1 cm / 2 L, and also mentioned 2/3 inch per gallon. Not to mention its for a much larger tank than yours; the smaller the tank, the more likely anything would go wrong, and when that happens, things can get rather nasty very rapidly in an over populated small tank, therefore I would suggest that don't even go close to the rule for a small tank.

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
The ottos don't add much to the bioload, so you can have 3 or 4. As for the guppies I wouldn't go with too many. I personally like small tanks that have just one pair. It makes them stand out more. BTW, I'm assuming that this tank has decent filteration, am I right? Ottos like to be in groups of at least 3, so I'd get one or two more if I were you. Good Luck!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
And if you have females and male guppies you will soon have lots and lots of guppies. I wouldnt go more than three otos. Its the guppies I think that will pose a bigger problem unless the parents eat em all! Yum!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I already have 16 fry that I'm raising in another tank :P And I don't even have any males haha. OK I'm going to go get 1 more otto. If I end up with male and females ottos, then these things won't churn out babies like guppies right

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode