IYO, what would look good in this tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
IYO, what would look good in this tank?

I had bad algae, bleached all my plants (except for gloss, it's new), for too long, and everything melted within days. I have since fixed things, RO, algae eaters, EI, CO2, UV. I thought it was dead but I left the roots in anyway and this is what has grown up. I don't even really know what I have. I need to fill it in with more and faster growing plants. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding anything else that I like. There's no aquascaping here, just letting everything root and grow out. I plan to add rocks or drifwood once I find the right pieces, but for now I need a few fast growing plants to suck up the nutrients.

I really don't want a ton of difference species, but I need something fast growing that "fits" so I could hopefully keep it once everything else grows.

So, what would look good with what I have? It's 55 gal, 4x40 watts, approx 30 ppm CO2, ph around 6.6, hardness prolly at 3-4, 15 rummy nose, 50 amanos, 8-9 ottos, and a few MTS snails that hitched rides. If you are wondering about the Rummy color, it's 3AM and I just switched on the 160w lighting for the pics so they're startled and asleep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:05 PM
zig
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well IMO there are lots of fast growers to choose from, Red ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Water Sprite to name a few, it really comes down to personal choice, but fast growers by their nature may soon outgrow your tank and need regular pruneing, so whether you end up keeping them really depends on the amount of maintanence you want to do once your setup becomes established.

But having said that i would get something in there quickly and lots of them or you will encounter algae problems again given the amount of light and presumably fertiliser you are putting in the tank right now.

So really at this stage i would put any fast growing stem plants in and then you can remove them later and put in the plants that you really want as the tank becomes a bit more established.

I just setup a new tank within the last couple of months and did just that and i havent had any major algae issues, but the fast growers are, well, growing like crazy, so ill probably start replaceing some of them soon, to keep down the maintainence.

Good luck with it
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Fast growers indeed should be added to the tank, I would also recommend some type of hardscape. The tank looks pale, need some work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode