Planaria, White Worms, Hyrads, I didnt know I had it. Now I do, fix? (with pictures) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Planaria, White Worms, Hyrads, I didnt know I had it. Now I do, fix? (with pictures)

So, I had my planted 58 gallon high tank for about 2 months now. I "NEVER" overfeed. As a matter of a fact, I feed a small amount of food to my neon teras and Rummynoses every "3" days, and just enough for about 15 seconds worth of food.

I never knew I had Planaria until yesterday.

I turned off one of my Korela powerheads, and forgot to turn it back on. By the time I got to it, it was nighttime and the lights turned off. I turned it back on, and I turned on the light for a split second. When the current hit the eco-complete gravel, I saw 50-100 white stringy things float up. Initially, i was like, what the hell, where did all that debris come from... then I looked more closely , and saw them moving and curling into a ball. These were worms.

At first, I didnt know what kind of worms they were, so I started to read everything on the Internet for the next 4 hours. I have now come to the conclusion I have some type of detritus worm, or Planaria, or something else. The head of the worm when it moves forward is slightly larger than the slim slender white body (just by a bit)

Prior to my "accident" of turning off the lights , and then turning on the pump, I "never" saw any of these worms on my glass. It was CLEAN! Since then I have tried to vacuum the gravel (my tank is planted) and I believe I have put a lot of them in the water column and on the glass now.

Today, by pure co-incidence, the power went out in out house for 45 mins. After the power company put the power back on, I ran downstairs, heard the power filter kick on and more worms in the water column, a few hundred?

I was already freaked out last night, and last I ordered 2x "NO PLANARIA" from Green Leaf Aquarium

So I ran down to Petsmart and Bought this

from this article

http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html

The original article mentions that to dose it .1g per 10 gallons. Read and verify this.
My tank a 58 gallon high, so I believe I need .6g for my 60 gallows.
The packet is 1gram, so .6 is a little bit more than half.

I took a razor blade and eyeballed it and divided it into 2 halves.

This stuff does not dissolved easily into water, so I took the razor and started to chop down on it to break it apart into finer parts.

I then mixed it into a plastic cup with water, and then I poured the entire thing into my tank

I also SHUT OFF my UV light (because this stuff degrades with LIGHT, and my UV light will probably render it useless). I ALSO REMOVED all my carbon from my filter before I put it in.

The moment I put it in, the FISH WANTED to eat it, and they did, and then they spit it back out. All of my oto cats went to a LIGHT LIGHT COLOR and I could not longer see their striping, the Shrimps continued to be where they are. I have amanos and RCS, and they continued to filter feed on their rocks, etc.

This is what my tanked look like. It was snowing.

About 15 minutes in, my shrimped SLOW DOWN a lot. They did not move as quickly.
No changes with the fish, they continued to swim and look normal.
I had some Planara or whatever worm I had on the side of the glass, and I watched them, they are still moving, and moving fast

When looking at the Planara on the side of my glass, GUESS WHAT I FOUND? ONE SINGLE HYDRA

See below
HYDRA IS MIDDLE OF PICTURE

15 MINUTES IN, the HYDRA just swung around up, down, left .. nothing
1 hr in, the HYDRA slowly retracts some of it tentacles.
3 hours in, the HYDRA is completely retracted and into a ball
4 hours in, the HYDRA releases itself from the glass, and I can no longer find it.

1 hour in, Whatever NUSIANCE snails i have (I am praying this stuff kills them also) -- NO CHANGE, they continue to move
2 hour in, they are still moving around
4 hours in, they are slower

1 HOUR IN, No change on worms on glass
on in the gravel. I HAVE ECO-COMPLETE black gravel and I can EASILY see the contrast of white worms in the gravel. If you have WHITE or Tan color, or a light color gravel, I DOUBT you will be able to see these worms in your gravel
1 HOUR IN, No change on worms in gravel
2 hours in, no change in works in gravel or glass, they are all bunched up in a dark corner of the tank which didnt get as much of dose. I have white specks sprinkled all over the gravel right now
3 hours in, the worms in the gravel, they seem to be moving a LOT slower
4 hours in, tank has cleared up a bit, fish are swimming, white specks remain on leaves and on my rocks and on the gravel
4 hours in, no changes in snail, they continue to move around the tank

I am hoping that when I wake up tomorrow, everything will be dead.

But this is the first dose.

Here are some of my fears:
1. The original article states that it was in a 10 gallon tank, I am factoring my 58 gallon for this, but is it more lethal when there is only so much room for the existing worms to move? I have a lot of gravel in my tank, sloped in the back and my tank is a lot bigger
2. If Some of the worms are NOT dead tomorrow, I will increase the dosage slightly for the 2nd, and then finally the 3rd dose
3. If these 3 doses still does not give me satisfaction, I am going to try the "no-Planaria" brand after I

a. Change the water
b. Vacuum the gravel again

tomorrow, the things I am going to change is that I am going to spend a lot of time pounding the granules in the packet down, because I really do not like the fact when it enters the water, it sits on top of some of the plants, and other stuff, and my otos and shrimps are eating this directly.

I really also have not determined if I have roundworks, some sort of tubiflex work, detritus worm or if the worms i have are planaria worms. I am not sure if this Fenbendazole will affect the other types, I can only hope. What I saw with the one hydra in my tank is promising, since it collapsed into itself and then detached itself from the glass.

Since accidentally finding out that I have these worms in my tank, I have looked more closely into my black eco-complete substrate and I see a ton of other activity in there. I see white dots moving around and jumping around (not slithering) and other creatures. I am assume these are seed shrimps.

I believe I got all of these beings from less than healthy LFS tanks, I am very disappointed, and if I cannot rid this tank of these problems, I may consider tearing it down (PM me if you are looking for FINNIX RAY2 light and Marineland Reef light which are only 2 months old). I have read that Planaria attack shrimp fry, and the seed shrimps when big enough ride on the backs of oto cats and other problems. I just dont see the point of going forward if I cannot fix these problems.

I will post an update when I dose part 2 and Part 3 dosage.

And if you are like me, tun off your filters, turn off your lights for 2 hours, turn back on the lights and filters and see if you have any white worms floating in your water. I never saw them on my glass before "my accident" either. Now I know I have hundreds, thousands...

and it is not from overfeeding, I believe they are eating leftover plant decay, dead snails I have been crushing (1-3 a day) or whatever else, I just cannot pin point it.

HAQ RASBORA in tank after dosing schooling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CON_3716.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	55026  

Last edited by concepts88; 10-09-2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yucky. I have no idea personally, but good luck! I have my hands in my tank all-the-time, so the thought of these kinds of things freaks me out.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Sounds like nematodes not planaira

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Planaria usuall do not float around the tank, they stay on the glass or the gravel. Did you find pictures online to compare?

Rod
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcuda View Post
Planaria usuall do not float around the tank, they stay on the glass or the gravel. Did you find pictures online to compare?
They were only floating because I disturbed the gravel.

And they were floating because the filters and power head were off, and the lights was off. So they came to the top of the gravel to feed. So when the filter and power head came back on, it blew down on the gravel and then pushed all the worms into the water column.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
Sounds like nematodes not planaira
Take a look at one of the last few pictures, thats the white lines on the side of the tank. Notice the little bulge on the head of the worm?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
Yucky. I have no idea personally, but good luck! I have my hands in my tank all-the-time, so the thought of these kinds of things freaks me out.
Personally, this has freaked me out. Because there was a time I was moving a plant around, and then I went to take a shower. When I came out, a RCS shrimp was on the floor of the bathroom floor.

So... if a RCS shrimp can ride accidentally on my arm when I am moving a plant for 5 seconds, I am sure other microscropic stuff can ride on my skin when I stick my hand in, and probably to the hairs of my arm.

So for now, I bought coralife shoulder length gloves used for corals and also some plastic should length gloves used for inseminating cows (lol) when I have to stick my hand in my tank.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Can I have some of those worms? After all, my 70+ tetra fish in this 40g tank would like some different diets other than flakes...... Strange, I could hardly see these worms on the glass. I only notice them when I turn back off/on my HOB. Let's face this...this is an aquarium. It can't be sterile clean.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
Personally, this has freaked me out. Because there was a time I was moving a plant around, and then I went to take a shower. When I came out, a RCS shrimp was on the floor of the bathroom floor.

So... if a RCS shrimp can ride accidentally on my arm when I am moving a plant for 5 seconds, I am sure other microscropic stuff can ride on my skin when I stick my hand in, and probably to the hairs of my arm.

So for now, I bought coralife shoulder length gloves used for corals and also some plastic should length gloves used for inseminating cows (lol) when I have to stick my hand in my tank.
Ugh I may invest in some gloves now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Can I have some of those worms? After all, my 70+ tetra fish in this 40g tank would like some different diets other than flakes...... Strange, I could hardly see these worms on the glass. I only notice than when I turn back off/on my HOB. Let's face this...this is an aquarium. It can't be sterile clean.
If you REALLY REALLY want them, I can mail you some of my gravel in a zip lock bag. But when they are floating, my Jumbo neon Tetras , HAQ Rasboras and the Rummy Nose Tetras suck it in and spit it right back out immediately. I never saw them swallow any of them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
If you REALLY REALLY want them, I can mail you some of my gravel in a zip lock bag. But when they are floating, my Jumbo neon Tetras , HAQ Rasboras and the Rummy Nose Tetras suck it in and spit it right back out immediately. I never saw them swallow any of them.

Strange they don't eat them.....why not? Is moving and small...it has to be food. My fish would go after them. I am sure my corycats have a hell of a good time with them on the substrate surface. FYI, I also don't vacuum my substrate for over a year.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think maybe it doesnt taste good? The tetras go crazy, but they spit every one of them out.

I barely feed my fish, so I know they are hungry.

I heard chili rasporas and dwarf cories will eat them, who knows.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think maybe it doesnt taste good? The tetras go crazy, but they spit every one of them out.

That's strange. Then, again, my glowlight tetras like scrapped off BBA too...

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

BTW, you may want to clean your filter more often. I replace my filter flossing once a week, on my HOB. I change my filter flossing in my canister filter twice a week. There is just no way these worms would be free floating in the water. They may crawl around by the tank bottom lower glass.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It could be that the wide head you mention is the clitellum of an annelid. Think of the round ring around an earthworm near its head. Detritus worms are annelids, segmented worms. You can see the segments with a good magnifier.

If that's the case, I dont think Fenbendazole will do anything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode