How do you keep it clean? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you keep it clean?

Hi all. I'm a newbie here and had a couple of questions for you more experienced aquarists.

I've never had live plants before. I'm all for cleanliness and usually use both an undergravel filter and a power filter, along with the monthly vacuuming of gravel with a siphon. I've always used plastic plants, so it didn't matter if some of them uprooted during the process and, actually, I liked this because it allowed me to rearrange as the whim took me.

Now I'm becoming more interested in adding live plants to my next aquarium setup and am wondering how do you keep it clean? Browsing through the photo album on this forum (there are some beautiful tanks on there!), I see that often the bottom of the tank is literally covered with plants. This eliminates the possibility of using a siphon...so how do you guys clean up the inevitable accumulation of detritus in the gravel?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to go into this until I'm sure I can handle it.

PS: I currently have a little 1g tank with a betta in it and a couple of small live plants. What kind of fertilizer should I use in there to keep the plants at their optimum health? Again, thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:22 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
As with any topic there are tons of opinions and some conflict rather dramatically. In general with a planted tank you have some kind of substrate that helps support living plants. Often there are parts of the tank that are either bare, or relatively bare, and parts that are much more heavily planted. It is probably a good idea to "carefully" vacuum the bare areas to help keep detritous and mulm down. Good water movement will help in reducing the buildup as well. Removing dead and floating leaves also helps. These are just a few suggestions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
a smaller 1" siphon also works well for getting around the plats and not disturbing them too much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Speaking for myself, I will lightly vaccuum over the top of my foreground as needed. Plus when I prune and replant, I will do a thorough gravel vac over the area which is being re-planted. Over the span of a year, I have probably gone over the whole tank two or three times. Even Crypts outgrow their area over a 6 month span. You have to realize with most planted tanks we're up-rooting and re-planting either as part of our pruning or because we want to thin out stands of certain plants, or we want re-arrangement. This occurs on a fairly regular basis. You will find that a healthy planted tank is cleaner and the fish are healthier than in an unplanted one. One of the benefits!

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hi Monkeygirl, welcome to the Planted Tank!

Whether you have to vacuum the substrate at all depends on the stocking level in your tank. With heavy fish load and/or avid poopers you might need to do some cleanup. However many typical planted tanks are understocked, a couple of tetras in many gallons of water... In that case there is no real accumulation of detritus, anything that falls in between the cracks is considered beneficial and improvement to the substrate.

When you see natural habitats of aquatic plants, check out the substrate. You will probably not find spotless gravel or sand, more likely something resembling mud. Some ppl go as far as using potting soil or top soil in their tanks and successfully grow plants while maintaining clear water and healthy fish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode