Does anyone actually declorinate their water when they do water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone actually declorinate their water when they do water changes?

Basicly, I would like to know exactly what the name of this thread is.
Are you supposed to de-chlorinate your water when making water changes or not? I know it's alwayse a good idea to de-chlorinate it, but does the chlorien do any damage to your plants or not??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I don't de-chlorinate my water, but some people use R.O water which they don't have to de-chlorinate.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Since I do large water changes on my tanks I always treat my water. My tap water contains chloramines. Chloramines cause long term damage to the health of the fish. A bottle of Seachem Prime lasts a very long time and treats the water for pennies each water change.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Since I do large water changes on my tanks I always treat my water. My tap water contains chloramines. Chloramines cause long term damage to the health of the fish. A bottle of Seachem Prime lasts a very long time and treats the water for pennies each water change.
Speaking of tanks, Rex I haven't got the chance to see your tank yet. Mind pointing me to a section where I can take a look?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well I don't post pictures of my tanks. Most of the time they are just jungles. I have 0 talent for making things look pretty. But I can grow them. I'm a farmer, not a landscaper. And both my tanks and my yard show that.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I use prime as well but I was wondering, do you put your replacement water in a container then add the prime to it and let it sit for a while, or do you just put the water in the tank and drop the prime straight in the tank?

Blake
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I dose Prime into the tank and fill the tank. I do follow the instructions and dose for total tank volume when doing so.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
For top-ups, I have added a gallon or less to a 20g tank untreated. I will rest the water overnight if I can, or add it unrested in this small an amount.

For a wc, I always dechlorinate. Most are 50% or better, the local water is treaed with chlorine, not chloramine, and for the last 2 years I have used sodium thiosulfate to dechlor. I use Rex's method of adding it directly to the tank, enough to do the entire volume. No problems to date.

James
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM

I treat my tapwater for shrimp and fish. I don't treat it when changing my turtle's water bc he's much hardier.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I use Prime when I change my water. The water here in my area is pretty nasty so they dump a ton of chlorine and chloramine, as well as a phosphate buffer!!

Re-boot!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:26 PM
pma
Algae Grower

Stress Coat user here. I just dump some per tank volume and fill 'er up.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

If I only had plants I wouldn't treat my water. As far as I know, my tap water won't harm plants.

I do treat it because I have animals living in it. I treat for approximately however much water I'm adding in my smaller tank and just dump in a bunch in my larger tank periodically while refilling. It's possible that my tap water won't harm any of my animals, but they are housepets and I don't want to risk it. And not only are they beloved pets, they are too big to flush.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I used to dechlor, but stopped a while back simply because I had run out of solution. In the past few months, I have not noted any adverse effects of using untreated tap water.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Like most I used to be a strong believer in dechlorinating water during water changes. Someone pointed me towards an article (which after a short search, I could not find) that claimed during small (10-15%) frequent water changes it was not necessary and in fact could be beneficial to not dechlorinate. I haven't dechlorinated since and have seen no ill effects.

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wonder what the benefits are. If you do locate the article any time, please post a link, Kyle.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode