Dry dosing for Plantex CSM+B? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry dosing for Plantex CSM+B?

Im having a heck of a time getting my new Plantex CSM+B w/ extra Iron to dissolve so I can dose it via stock solution.

I know Ive seen a couple ppl talking about dry dosing it (using some tank water to dissolve it, then pouring back into tank - not simply dumping powder into my tank)... so I was just wondering what the normal dosing would look like.

Ive done some very rough figuring, and I think I got about 0.2 Teaspoons for 45g of water in a 3.75wpg 55g tank. Does this sound reasonable to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
based on the normal solution of: 500ml water mixed with 2 Tablespoons of Plantex CSM+B, and the recommended 5ml per 20g's, it comes out to 1/16t dry per 20g's.

So for you it would be barely over 1/8 of a teaspoon, or .125 teaspoon. per dosing. 3x per week.

edit>> to add though, what has been recommended by Greg Watson to me is to mix the Plantex solution with Flourish to get some additional nutrients.

Keep in mind that mixing 2T with 500ml water is not a must. You can do 1T in 500ml water and then just know to dose 2x as much. So 20ml per dosing instead of 10ml. This will make the dilution process very easy.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 AM

dump and guess

I have gone to dry dosing, since I always got a nasty slimey stuff growing in the solution, even after I started using muratic acid as an additive.

I use the tiny spoon that comes with the Red Sea iron testing kit, I have no idea how much it is. I just watch the red melon sword, if it is too little, the new leaves are shorter, if it is,,, what? enough? too much? the leaves are really big and threaten to outgrow the tank. I don't want it too big, nor too little... guess I'm looking for the Goldilocks solution.

I just add it to a cup of tank water and dump it in. Once or twice a week, maybe 3x if I think of it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
I have gone to dry dosing, since I always got a nasty slimey stuff growing in the solution, even after I started using muratic acid as an additive.
Have you tried to keep the solution in the fridge? I made my first few mixes and did not refridgerate and it got the slime and did turn color. When I mix and chill it seems to last and the color stays the fresh greenish color longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry its a bit of OT. But a digital scale w/ 1g precision can be as cheap as around 20 - 30 bucks each.

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
CSM+B + Extra FE in distilled water,keep in fridge, shake well before use...

Keeping things like this in fridge might have low WAF or HAF depending on situation...

Grab some kids small "dorm" fridge and frozen food and live foods also get a home...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode