First Time Doing Planted -- Questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Time Doing Planted -- Questions.

I recently upgraded my reef tank from my 46 bowfront to a 125 gallon. This means my 46 bowfront is empty. I've decided to try my hand at a planted aquarium. I've never done planted aquariums before. Freshwater for a while before but not planted.

My equipment will be :

1. 46 Gallon Tank
2. 150W Metal Halide lighting
3. 2" of Seachem Flourite under another 1-2" of gravel.
4. Hang on filter for charcoal and mechanical filtration ( no biowheel ).

I plan on using Flourish (tm) and a DIY CO2 system.

For water should I use treated tap or should I use RO water with RO Right supplement ? I'm in the Chicago area and the water is pulled from Lake Michigan.

Also the lighting is presently a 10K bulb can I use that or should I replaced it with an 6-8k bulb ? Its an expensive bulb so if I can get by with it for a while I'd like to.

Also are there any really good freshwater fish stores selling a good selection of plants in the western chicago burbs or should I go and order online. There are lots with plants but all have a very small selection that I've seen.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hi there festus, welcome to the Planted Tank World

In no particular order:

Planted Tanks and charcoal don't get along very well, just plan on mechanical filtration for particles and current and things will be good. Regular water changes with tapwater will keep things fresh.
The 10000K bulb should be fine, plants won't mind the crisp look as long as it isn't actinic.
Flourish provides micro nutrients, plan also on supplying nitrates, potassium and phosphates once plants grow like crazy.
Not sure about plant avail in Chicago, stores around here can not measure up to online suppliers.
Good luck with the plants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
DIY CO2 is not going to cut it on a high light tank. You have to figure that the MH light is going to provide a lot of light for that tank ~3 wpg. DIY CO2 will work but you are going to need a lot of mix. Say at a minimum of a gallon.

You can use the Flourish line of nutrients, or you can use bulk nutrients and buy a CO2 system with the savings in about a year.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
DIY CO2 is not going to cut it on a high light tank. You have to figure that the MH light is going to provide a lot of light for that tank ~3 wpg. DIY CO2 will work but you are going to need a lot of mix. Say at a minimum of a gallon.
So two or three gallon mik jugs half full and bubble counted into the tank should do right ?

Ultimately I'll move to a pressurized system but right now I have some $$ I still need to put into my reeftank.

Thanks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wasserpest should have some input re what to expect trying to do DIY on a tank this size, since IIRC he successfully has done it on 100g tank.

James
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
And since Rex didn't mention it, check out his guide at www.rexgrigg.com. Lots of good, straight-forward info there.

I started with DIY CO2, because initially it is cheaper, and I figured it would help me understand things better. But, I'm really glad I finally upgraded to pressurized.

Good luck!
Brian.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by festus
For water should I use treated tap or should I use RO water with RO Right supplement ? I'm in the Chicago area and the water is pulled from Lake Michigan.

Also are there any really good freshwater fish stores selling a good selection of plants in the western chicago burbs or should I go and order online. There are lots with plants but all have a very small selection that I've seen.
Chicago water is fine. No need to go RO.

Scott's in Westchester is about it for W burbs. Check which day they get their plants in, tho, when selection is best. M-T-or W I think. I used to go in M or T eves - good selection, very empty. A zoo on weekends. Iffy service. Can't call or even leave a message on the phone. And in store, when crowded only way to get service is by lining up at counter. A couple of guys are really good on plants, but some of the others will bs you, just trying to sell what they can.

Old Orchard up north is also good and easy to get to.

Tropiquatics in Lombard is hit or miss with plants. Nice store, tho.

And then there's that new place that is going to open up in Elgin...

Overall, however, I'd suggest starting off with the swap forum right here, and then elsewhere on the net. Better selection and better prices than you'll find in stores. Just order several things at once, to save on shipping.

Check out the caga (Chicago Aquatic Gardening Assoc) group on Yahoo to hook up with wet thumbs in the area. There are links in the Illinois forum and elsewhere here.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
Wasserpest should have some input re what to expect trying to do DIY on a tank this size, since IIRC he successfully has done it on 100g tank.
Yes, but that wasn't a high light tank, and I wasn't trying to hit a particular level, just wanted to provide additional boost. I used three 3gal soda bottles so that's a little over two gallons), and CO2 got up to around 10 to 15 ppm.

Using DIY and saving up for a pressurized systems is a good way to learn both approaches... (I would not want to go back to DIY though).

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, that gives festus a clue. 9L of DIY just to "boost" a lower light tank. Lotta work, and there is the risk of BBA if you aren't on top of it.

James
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Good info guys thanks.

I'll try to do the DIY for a while and then when I get tired of that I'll switch over to a canister. Once I get my daily dosing on my reef fully automated that is.

I guess when I get the co2 canister and ph controller along with the MH light "left over" from my reeftank I'll have a swell setup.

Finally tracked down another bag of flourite to finish the setup. You would think that in the Chicago burbs you could find the stuff. Its hard to come by. Anway I'm going to look into setting this up in the next week or so.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:48 PM

It took me three weeks and 5 fish stores to get 6 bags of flourite in the Orlando Florida area. I feel for you.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You don't need a pH controller. You can set up a manual CO2 system for under $150 that will work just fine.

DIY bottles should be as full as possible. The more air space you have the more CO2 you have to generate before it gets to the tank.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I used to have DIY CO2 on my tank and it got old really quick. Pressurized is the only way to go. My system is on 24/7 and my fish a thriving and my plants are really starting to get a good establishment and growth has definetely increased. EI method is the only way for me...

Josh

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

- Join today!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Chicago water is fine. No need to go RO.
Ok cool. I already have an RO unit for the reef so was just wondering.

Quote:
Overall, however, I'd suggest starting off with the swap forum right here, and then elsewhere on the net. Better selection and better prices than you'll find in stores. Just order several things at once, to save on shipping.
I must be dense. Where on this site is the swap forum located ? I don't see it in the list of forums.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hint: look under "Members Forums" for the one named "Swap n Shop."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode