Molds during DSM.. Adding H2O2.. advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Molds during DSM.. Adding H2O2.. advice?

So if algae is to flooded aquariums, molds would then be to DSM? =b

Aside from drying it out a little, does anyone else have some wise words to impart to this thread? =)

Here's a photo of that malodorous (or appetizing if you like cheese) thing

On the substrate

When I digged it out, it went several cm deep into the substrate

Last edited by tokpaler; 09-19-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Updated thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks... pleasant. Haha. When I got mold during my DSM, I lowered the water level (about 1/2 to 3/4 inches under substrate), misted with H2O2 solution, let it dry out for about a day, then recovered it with saran wrap. Then I misted every couple days, and opened up the saran wrap every day to give it some fresh air. Everything has been good since then.. I think the main thing is to lower your water level
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Another thing I was told to try with mold (on indoor or hydroponic plants) is squirting a solution of bicarbonate (sodium, or potassium if you have it) on it. It changes the pH locally, enough to make the mold upset. In my experience, it works mainly as a deterrent against recurrence after yanking out as much of the mold as I can see, doesn't work so great at killing it outright. I wasn't able to reduce the humidity, that probably would have worked by itself if I could have done it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepghosh View Post
That looks... pleasant. Haha. When I got mold during my DSM, I lowered the water level (about 1/2 to 3/4 inches under substrate), misted with H2O2 solution, let it dry out for about a day, then recovered it with saran wrap. Then I misted every couple days, and opened up the saran wrap every day to give it some fresh air. Everything has been good since then.. I think the main thing is to lower your water level
Looks "pleasant" indeed, wait till it gets your nostrils and your in for a treat! Lol!

After you've covered it again, did you seal it tightly?

I've since let some air get through via a thin seam that I left unsealed. It doesn't look like the moist DSM (i.e. no moisture on the glass, etc...) that I've seen other people do on their tanks. The lowest part of the substrate is definitely wet, but I'm worried about the Anubias Nana that's placed much higher in the tank not getting enough moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Another thing I was told to try with mold (on indoor or hydroponic plants) is squirting a solution of bicarbonate (sodium, or potassium if you have it) on it. It changes the pH locally, enough to make the mold upset. In my experience, it works mainly as a deterrent against recurrence after yanking out as much of the mold as I can see, doesn't work so great at killing it outright. I wasn't able to reduce the humidity, that probably would have worked by itself if I could have done it.
Sodium Bicorbonate = soda water, right? Sorry, I'm getting lost with all the scientific jargons related to the hobby! =b

How much H2O2 and/or NaHCO3 (google! Lol!) should I add? Do I dilute it with regular water or do I just spray it on its own?

Thanks for the replies! =)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
yummy :-P

I'd flood it with a few inches of water until it dies off.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Last edited by BIG_Z; 10-04-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: 000
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokpaler View Post
Looks "pleasant" indeed, wait till it gets your nostrils and your in for a treat! Lol!

After you've covered it again, did you seal it tightly?

I've since let some air get through via a thin seam that I left unsealed. It doesn't look like the moist DSM (i.e. no moisture on the glass, etc...) that I've seen other people do on their tanks. The lowest part of the substrate is definitely wet, but I'm worried about the Anubias Nana that's placed much higher in the tank not getting enough moisture.

Sodium Bicorbonate = soda water, right? Sorry, I'm getting lost with all the scientific jargons related to the hobby! =b

How much H2O2 and/or NaHCO3 (google! Lol!) should I add? Do I dilute it with regular water or do I just spray it on its own?

Thanks for the replies! =)
Yes, I sealed it tightly. I only open it to give it fresh air for about 5 minutes a day. I have read various things about flooding it or letting it dry out, but this is what worked for me. You also might consider putting a book under the front of the tank to tilt it back, so the anubias still gets moisture and the lower levels aren't flooded
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Soda water is carbonic acid. I wonder if that would work too? Depends on the pH of the soda water. Hydrogen peroxide might work as well, and that breaks down to plain water, so it might have the least effect on the rest of the tank. I used to tutor most of the sciences, so I feel funny if I don't call things by their scientific names.

I usually am too lazy to measure. I scoop up some water, add maybe a quarter teaspoon of baking soda, pour or squirt it on, and call it a day. I have really soft water and my tank sucks up bicarbonate somehow, so I'm not worried about overdosing it because it'll get used up. Not sure what your susbstrate will do with it, to be honest.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm taking every measure necessary to stop and prevent the molds from returning.

Please chime in if you see what I will be doing is wrong!

Firstly, I will be misting 1 part H2O2 and 3 parts water to the affected parts. So that means 100ml H2O2 and 300ml H2O, then I'll have 400ml of solution, right?

I'll then leave the tank open to dry it out a bit more, using a fan on top of the tank for air circulation.

After 48 hours or so, I'll then spray a solution of sodium bicarbonate and water just on the affected parts and continue spraying regular water to the rest of the plants making sure not to raise the moisture too high this time.

With all the steps done and bases covered, I should have a proper DSM running again minus the molds, right?

In the mean time, I'm misting the parts with mold on them to wash the spores out and leaving the tank uncovered until I wake up =b
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And another thing - how do you exactly take out the water belowe the substrate?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

Try digging a hole in the substrate and use a syringe to suck water out of that hole.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

I just stuck a turkey baster in all the way to the bottom and got it out that way
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added H202 last night, got home today and saw that molds have returned but now I'm getting the spiderweb type, none on the plants though...

Spraying the affected parts only tonight and leaving the tank partially covered to see if that helps.

How big a part does temperature play in the growth of molds?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

The spiderweb looking stuff is fungus. I would spray the whole tank with H2O2 to kill all the mold/fungus. Did you remove the excess water so it is below the level of the substrate? I didn't find temperature to really affect the fungus at all.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeap, lowered it to about half of the substrate and I've been misting only when the tank starts to dry out which about a couple of days. Let some air out this morning too..

The family's is really putting pressure on me now to get the tank up and running with everything in it. They're just not used to seeing an aquarium without water and just plants! Hahahahaha!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode