Clear Leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK, just thought I would post a question about one of my plants. Well..my readily reproducing jungle val is producing clear leaves, they eventually turn green, but only which age, and some leaves haven't even turned green yet. Is this a nitrate problem?

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:02 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have some Jungle Val in my tank. The new shoots usually come out white or a pale green. Then they'll turn green as the grow out. I pull pieces of jungle val out of my tank that are 4 feet long sometimes.

As for your nitrate question, I have to little info to go on. How much light do you have? CO2 injection? size of tank? heavily planted? Do you supplement the tank with aquatic plant fertilizer? Water changes?Or you can get a nitrate test kit and that'll tell you the story on that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, I inject CO2 (yeast) using a DIY reactor seen here. I have 2.75 watts of light, and plan on making my NO light a ODNO light soon, tomorrow actually! And I have flourite substrate. I don't fertalize yet. I do water changes everyother day 20 % (algae problem). Its a 55 gallon, and I just added some Rotala Macronda today, as well as 2 amazon swords ($1.99 at my LFS!), and a green crypt. It is moderatly-heavily plated, but I'm getting some more stem plants this next week, so then it will be heavily planted.

-Tim

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 01:07 AM

I think your jungle val is fine. Your bigger problem is the algae bloom. Usually caused by excess phosphorous and to a lesser degree nitrates. Do you use an Ammo lock type product when doing water changes? That could be adding phosphorous to your tank. If your tank is established you don't need it. Your plants prefer ammonia as a nitogen source.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I add Kents Ammonia Detox to my tap water, but not nearly enough to treat the whole tank. I use this because it is what my LFS has and I can't seem to find anything that neutralizes just chorline and chloramine. Would adding the Ammonia Detox to the tank also neutralize ammonia _in the tank_? Any suggestions on a new water conditioner if this is the case. Thanks for the reply!

-Tim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:26 PM

There is one product out there called "Tap water conditioner". I'm not sure who makes it. I have city water and I used to use Amquel but then I read on a couple of sights that a lot of people don't use any additives, so I gave it a try. I haven't been using any additives for about 6 months now. I think your safe as long as you don't do more than a 25% water change. Smaller water changes, more often, is better for your fish anyway. I do about 15-20% once a week.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

NO additives, not even a simple dechlorinator? Wouldn't that kill the fish...?

-Tim
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The chlorine will leave the water (so I've been told) if you let it stand a few hours before adding it, no additives needed. I just put it straight in with no additives and haven't had any ill effects to my angelfish.:hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
When I worked at a LFS, we used a python for water changes every day and never used dechlorinator. Granted, each city water is different and I've drank water that tasted like pool water, but there are indeed some areas that can get away without it. Right now, I don't use any dechlorinator.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll have to try it on my 10 gallon first... I'll do some small water changes without dechlorinator.

Why then, do people say that chlorine is lethal to fish, if it is OK to not dechlorinate the water?

-Tim
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:28 PM

Chlorine is not good for fish, but its all a matter of degree. If you're starting a new tank with 100% chlorinated water then it makes sense to add dechlorinator. You gotta remember that the chlorinated water in a 20% water change is getting diluted with 80% unchlorinated water. In effect the chlorine concentrations will be 20% or 1/5 of what the water coming out of your tap would be. Whats more that chlorine will have completely dissipated in about 2-3 hours. I had an industrial Ed. teacher that used to say,"The solution to pollution is dilution" lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode