My first planted tank/My planned setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first planted tank/My planned setup

Hello all,

Ive been lurking on the site for a while but finally registered since Im pulling the trigger on my first planted tank.

Ive had fresh and saltwater tanks all my life but this is my first stab at an aquarium with live plants. So I hve been doing some researching and this is what Im planning to work with.

29gal tank
Eheim 2026 ProII canister (still on the fence if I should get a 2213 instead)
30" 2x65W Coralife Freshwater Aqualight CF hood, 2x 6700K bolbs
Eco-Complete substrate
Aquariumplanet.com complete CO2 system
Hydor in-line heater
I also plan on using R/O water since I can get it rather cheap .40/gal (i have very hard water where I live)

Any comments are most appreciated. Now Im off to Rex's site to see if I can awnser my own questions.

Thanks
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Not a bad setup, good luck Kyle.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

I think after more reading the 2213 will work fine. I save some money and put in somewhere else in equipment.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
You are much smarter then me and probably some other people out there. You actually did research and planned out your first planted tank. You will save yourself a lot of hassel later on by getting the right equipment from the start. I bet you'll have a great planted tank in no time. Good Luck!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:20 PM

I can't help you much - but I've been lurking on this site for more than a year before I finally registered =)

What kind of plants do you planning on getting?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Well I really love the look of Glosso. So plenty of that. Probably dwarf hairgrass mixed in for the foreground.

Probably Nana Anubias and Red ludwigia too.

I figure Ill be at 4.48 WPG and with the CO2 injection I shouldnt be real limited.

Are there any good books that anyone can recommend?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m249saw
Well I really love the look of Glosso. So plenty of that. Probably dwarf hairgrass mixed in for the foreground.

Probably Nana Anubias and Red ludwigia too.

I figure Ill be at 4.48 WPG and with the CO2 injection I shouldnt be real limited.

Are there any good books that anyone can recommend?

I second the 2213...the 2026 might be overkill.

Any good books?...you're reading one!!

Re-boot!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The only comment I have would be that the 29 gallon tank is fairly shallow front to back which makes it a bit harder to aquascape. A 30 breeder or 40 breeder is a much easier tank to work with.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

A 5lb tank should be enough correct? I was looking at the 2.5lb but Id only have to fill the 5lb has as much.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

From all I've read, a 5 lb tank should be great for a smaller tank like that. It should last you a good while between fill-ups.

I'll second what Rex is saying about the 29G though. I have a 20G tank and a 54G that was given to me. Both only offer a foot of depth front to back which I find incredibly frustrating for aquascaping. I still love my 54G because it's allowed me to have a larger tank, but I consider it only temporary until I gather together what I need for a larger tank more suited to aquascaping. If I had it to do all over again and was carefully planning things out as you are, I would most definitely pick a tank that has a minimum of 18" depth front to back. That would be my number one priority for the set-up.

Pimpin' the Eheim at #153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Well crap since I bought my 29gal yesterday morning. I could take it back of a store credit but PetSupermarket where I bought it has a very limited selection of tanks.

This plus the fact my apartment only allows a max of a 30 gal tank, so the 40gal they had could cause me to get in trouble, and I would rather avoid that.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

^ Ah, well if you have such limitations you can't get around, it is not the end of the world. I guess I should rephrase my previous statement to say "in a perfect world if I were planning things out now...." or something like that.

Now, if I had my 20G to do over again, I wish I'd spent the few extra dollars and gotten the 29G. Yes, the aquascaping is still limited, but those 9 extra gallons would have been nice.

The advice re: tank size from Rex and myself is simply to steer you towards the best option possible if you have all these options still open to you. Obviously you have limitations on what tank size you can choose, so given all that the 29G is a pretty good option. I wish my tanks were deeper front to back, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of them as you will with your new tank.

Good luck and enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Thanks.

Ive seen some pretty nice setups on here with the 29gal.

Im always up for a good challenge, besides Im used to plastic plants, so even its only a few live ones its a step up for me
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m249saw
besides Im used to plastic plants, so even its only a few live ones its a step up for me
Oh man, you're in for a treat. There's just no comparison. I think one of the coolest things about my first tank I put live plants into was seeing just how much the fish behaviour changed. Things just immediately felt more "natural." I get people over here who've had aquariums for years and they just marvel at my tanks, and I've yet to do anything really special with my tanks other than stuff them full of plants to get them established. Okay, my slate constructions are pretty cool and I have several people who want one, but I've done nothing special with my planting so far.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
CO2 cylinder size. Get the largest cylinder you can. The difference in refill costs are not normally linear.

My 5 lb tank runs me about $15 to get filled (CO2 is expensive here because we have no local plant), my 20 lb tank runs me $25 to get filled.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode