Do many people ask if your planted tank is saltwater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do many people ask if your planted tank is saltwater?

Maybe I didn't notice until I started holding open houses (economy, if I ask you nice, will you PLEASE wake up? At least in my little town?) But every time someone sees my tank they say "wow! That's saltwater, right?" now, don't take this as bragging. My tank is pretty much bottom of the barrel compared to a lot of other tanks on here. I pretty much just stuck a bunch of plants in and let them do their thing.
Back to the question at hand. Why do people assume that only saltwater tanks can look good? Are there really THAT many freshwater tanks that have clown puke gravel, and bubbling ships/skulls/treasure chests? I'm not frustrated by any stretch of the imagination, I like showing people that freshwater tanks can be awesome. But why do so many people assume its a saltwater tank? I've spent a lot of time in the water(fresh, salty, and brackish alike), and most saltwater plants get BIG! Way too big for a household aquarium (excluding the likes of Oprah or Romney)

Do the rest of you get the same question?

Just curious.

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes! They always first assume it is saltwater. Then, after I tell them it is freshwater, some will ask "what's the difference" or "how can you tell"?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've only had that asked once, I think it's more about the popularity of Reef tanks.

I get the "I can't believe those plants are REAL?" and " Won't those snails eat the plants?" (ramshorns) but the best is "OMG what is that!!!" (amano shrimp) Which is always followed by. "Do you eat those?"

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
Yes, but generally its the ones with shrimp that confuse.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Algae Grower

Some even asked if I breed RCS for consumption @[email protected]

Journal:

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The shrimp have certainly thrown a few people off, but I've never been asked if I was going to eat them, lol! I keep ghost shrimp myself. Just as a clean up crew. I throw 50 a 100 in there every few months and the angels slowly eat them. I was asked once if you 'could' eat them. I said that if you were hungry enough, you could probably eat anything living in the tank. THEN they got a disgusted look, lol.

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
honestly i never get past the "how many tanks do you have?" when i respond with 6 people tend to get turned off.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm routinely appalled by folks who genuinely don't seem to grasp the inherent difference between salt water and fresh water--not in types of tanks, but in terms of the idea that species in one can't (typically) live in the other.

"You should get one of those yellow fish like the doctor's office has!"
"They're cool, but those are saltwater, I have a freshwater tank."
"There's a difference?"
"Yeah."
"What about one of those shrimp like in Finding Nemo? My son loves those!"
"Again, saltwater--they're from the ocean. My fish are from lakes and rivers."
"Oh. Do you have coral?"
*bang head against desk repeatedly*

Somehow, I thought basic science classes or a little nat geo wild would have sufficed to leverage that knowledge into folks' heads, but I guess not.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah people ask if it's saltwater. It's a nice compliment.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
Yes! They always first assume it is saltwater. Then, after I tell them it is freshwater, some will ask "what's the difference" or "how can you tell"?
Q: "How can you tell?"...

Obvious Answer: "Well, I usually just put my finger in the water and lick the water off my finger when I'm unsure."

I want someone to ask me that now.

-Clayton
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessionthree View Post
Q: "How can you tell?"...

Obvious Answer: "Well, I usually just put my finger in the water and lick the water off my finger when I'm unsure."

I want someone to ask me that now.

-Clayton
That is brilliant!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

I have a saltwater reef and people always ask me if you just and normal salt in the water. Some people just don't realize how much work goes into a fish tank fresh or salt.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would have to say that it is because whenever you go to a nice restaurant, hotel, WHATEVER, most of the tanks they have at the fancy places are saltwater. Thats what most non-aquarium keepers know.. Its really just misinformation. Everyone thinks of Bass and trout when they think freshwater, and beautiful, colorful fish and coral and plants and stuff when they think saltwater.
You ever watch Nemo??!! Lmao..
Id probably think the same before i got into fish tanks and crap. Im guilty of starting off with fake plants and clown puke and what not. I Was a kid, but still.. haha..

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
I get asked if my tanks are saltwater all the time. Our school systems have totally failed us.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I get asked if my tanks are saltwater all the time. Our school systems have totally failed us.
those were my thoughts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode