Air Stones for planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Air Stones for planted tank?

I had a quick question that I was hoping could be answered. Do I need to run an air stone strip in my tank if my tank is a 29 gallon planted tank? It's not heavily planted, only about a half dozen plants but I have noticed that in all the photos I have seen recently of other people's planted tanks there are no airstone bubbles visible. Just wondering if its necessary?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:34 AM
Pia

An airstone will cause your CO2 to leave the water so it is not recommended for planted tanks. Some people like to run airstones during the night for extra oxygen, though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wth! hehe ok, thanks! Probably would make sense why I seem to have a shortage in my co2 levels. I'll unplug my airstone strip for awhile and see how it all goes. I learn something new everyday with this hobby.

Another thing that has been nagging me is all the scientific terminology with ppm's and how much NO3 to add and phosphates... how does one calculate what one needs based on the water I have to work with? I'm pretty sure there isn't a onestop do it all test kit is there?

Thanks for the info on the airstone!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
as long as your filter provide a little surface irritation you dont need to run an airstone at all. Some run them at night so CO2 doesn't build up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:54 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any surface agitation will also assist co2 in escaping. As long as you have adequate circulation, you don't need to agitate the surface of the water...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chard
Another thing that has been nagging me is all the scientific terminology with ppm's and how much NO3 to add and phosphates... how does one calculate what one needs based on the water I have to work with? I'm pretty sure there isn't a onestop do it all test kit is there?
There are approximate target levels of each. For example, target NO3 is 5-10ppm. To find out how much you need to add for your specific setup, it's helpful to know how much is in your tap water to begin with. You can either get test kits or contact your water company.

Once you know how much is already there, you can use Chuck's calculator to decide how much of each chemical (N, P, K, and micros) you need to add.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

You can read more about fertilizer here ~> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1074
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

excellent!! Thanks Pia, I have been using Kents blackwater expert and plant supplement, but its always sort of felt like walking in the dark, not really knowing if I'm hitting all the right spots. Those two sites will help greatly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Pia

Fertilizer was one of the most confusing aspects of planted tanks for me.

I'm still trying to figure it out but I think I finally have a regime that's good for me, good for the plants, and bad for algae!

If you need help with it, don't waste any time in posting your problems here. There are lots of really great people that helped me out and can help you out, too!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Weee, here we go again!

Regulars know what I'm about to say... I believe if your tank is covered, you should run an airstone.

Here's the thread where I argued my personal belief:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15068

Check this guy's thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18992

DO goes down to as low as 5.5 in an open top tank before the lights go on. I guess this is why Amano runs airstones in his open top tanks at night.

Quote:
An airstone will cause your CO2 to leave the water so it is not recommended for planted tanks.
Hogwash!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode