To all my college friends... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
To all my college friends...

So, I haven't been home with my tanks for the past 3 weeks, and although I have gotten my parents to do EI dosing and water changes for me, my tank looks like hell cause of things getting uprooted and not getting replanted properly
Haven't really had time to look at it too much since I've been back, but a major replanting is in order
What I want to know is, what do you guys do while you are away at school? Do you trust your folks to take care of everything or do you constantly come back home to make sure its all going well? I guess this question can go out to anyone that has planted tanks and isn't home with them all the time.

I forsee many plants being bought by me over winter break though lol

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Have them send you a weekly picture message/text. Guarantees a call/text/answer back! The conversations I got sucked into...lol
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I sold my tank when I went off to college many moons ago. I wasn't going to make my parents to the legwork on it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Take them with you! haha I actually got rid of my tank in highschool and picked the hobby back up here in college
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Getting PPS-Pro will make your life a lot easier, with EI you won't even have the time to trim the plants.

Autodosers would be even better

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I actually took my tank to school. Seems you cant do that. Autodoser is a good option. If your close enough to home. I am sure your parents wont mind a "Dinner visit" then you can get free food and do a tank maintenance. hehe

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What's PPS-Pro?
And I do live rather close to home but its not always possible for me to come back due to the train being the biggest pita imaginable. I really do need a car asap XD

And I am bringing a tank with me, but I can't bring a planted 75 gallon tank with me sadly.
Then again, on whatever day in my life I settle into my own home, I'd just move everything from that 75 into something larger in my own home, because why the hell not? lol

Mom's Spec V:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PPS-Pro is a dosing system.

You're essentially giving plants the bare minimum for them to thrive. It's mixed in a solution which allows you to auto dose. The base line is 1ml per 10 gallons.

The awesome thing about it is that you don't need water changes.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
So, I haven't been home with my tanks for the past 3 weeks, and although I have gotten my parents to do EI dosing and water changes for me, my tank looks like hell cause of things getting uprooted and not getting replanted properly
Haven't really had time to look at it too much since I've been back, but a major replanting is in order
What I want to know is, what do you guys do while you are away at school? Do you trust your folks to take care of everything or do you constantly come back home to make sure its all going well? I guess this question can go out to anyone that has planted tanks and isn't home with them all the time.

I forsee many plants being bought by me over winter break though lol
This is why I live at home...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
PPS-Pro is a dosing system.

You're essentially giving plants the bare minimum for them to thrive. It's mixed in a solution which allows you to auto dose. The base line is 1ml per 10 gallons.

The awesome thing about it is that you don't need water changes.
While this sounds amazing...I keep my tanks too heavily stocked to NOT have to do weekly water changes anyways...so EI still sounds like the best bet I guess....although this might be useful for that tank I am bringing to college or for my low tech tank. Send me more info plz?

Mom's Spec V:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had to shut down all twelve tanks I had running when I headed to college but setup a small 15 gallon (largest my dorm would allow). Just started grad school and have my own apartment. The maximum size im allowed is 20 gallons, but no limit on the number of aquariums. Excited to take advantage of that
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
While this sounds amazing...I keep my tanks too heavily stocked to NOT have to do weekly water changes anyways...so EI still sounds like the best bet I guess....although this might be useful for that tank I am bringing to college or for my low tech tank. Send me more info plz?
How is it that you're not doing weekly water changes with EI?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Living in a dorm? I've got my tank here at school with me, but I'm living in an apartment. It's a pain in the butt to move, but no way I would trust anyone else but myself to care for it. Plus, working and maintaining my tank acts as a huge stress relief to keep me sane (somewhat) while surviving vet school. If you live in a dorm, idk what to tell you. If you live in an apartment or something like that, by all means, bring it with you.

Sent from my HTC One S

-Rusty

w/

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Well he did say he is took a nano with him, and the mother tank is too large to move. My college had a limit on tank size after an accident dumped 250 gallons onto the floor, drunk college kids much? Limit was 15 Gallons at Ferris State.

How many years till your out of School? and would it be possible for you to move to an offsite apartment with friends while still in school? Then you could move your tank there. Kind of a expensive solution, but yea.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
How is it that you're not doing weekly water changes with EI?
bleh, I miss typed
What I meant to say is that, even if I wasn't doing EI, I'd still be doing 50% water changes weekly anyways. So all EI really adds to the workload is putting in ferts every day, which is probably the easiest part of EI anyways.

As far as my living situation, I am dorming on campus and even if I were to live in an apartment off campus, no way would I be bringing a 75 gallon that is already set up, its just way to big of a tank to do that with.

Also, I'm only a sophmore, so that's basically 3 more years for me counting this current year. And that's without graduate.

Oh life

Mom's Spec V:

Last edited by HybridHerp; 09-16-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: adding more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode