New with Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New with Questions

Hey, put this in the low-tech forum but figured I might get more replies from the general forum. Thanks!

Hey everyone. New to the planted tank and planted tanks in general. I currently have a 30 gallon marine reef tank going and am looking into a little, cheap, low-maintenance side project. I have heard that a low-tech planted is the way to go, some I'm looking for advice as to how to set up what I'm looking for with minimal money, but look half-way decent. I really don't know much about this so I will just tell u what Im envisioning and I'm hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction and give some advice.

Basically this all started two years ago when I got a grow-a-frog kit (African clawed frog). Apparently they expected my 4" frog to live the entirety of its life in like a 1/4 gallon cube...
Well I was not going to stand for that, so I quickly went out and bought a cheap plastic 3 gallon kit. As he continues to grow I now want to upgrade again, but am looking for something more natural than bare bottom plastic tank with a plastic castle. That's when I got the idea to do a planted tank for my little frog.

I am envisioning something in the 10 gallon range that isn't gonna be more than $80 or so to set up. I am looking for the cheapest way to set up a halfway decent planted tank with my African clawed frog as the main inhabitant. I'm assuming I'll need low-light plants, and I know that mixing fish with African clawed frogs generally doesn't end well so it will likely just be the frog, plants, an maybe a mystery or apple snail if u guys think that'll work.

That's pretty much all I got right now. Looking for suggestions for care, equipment, plants, and any advice you can give a noob. Interested to hear what you guys have to say and will probably think of more questions later! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would start checking your local Craig's List - usually the cheapest way to buy a tank and other related equipment. I don't know much about frogs, but when it comes to tanks, longer is better then taller. Once you figure the tank you want, then your choices of filters and lighting become more clear.

The best and cheapest way to get plants is right here on this forum.
Best of luck and welcome to TPT.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
for tank, you mentioned a 10gallon. petco is having their $1 per gallon sale right now.. so you could easily snag a 10gallon brand new tank for $10.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Go a bit larger for the frog- get a 20 long. That gives the frog a lot more room to move around.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 on the twenty long.
I think African clawed frogs dig though. If so, it'd probably pretty difficult to keep them in a planted aquarium.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies! I would love a 20 gallon but space-wise and cost-wise a 10 gallon makes more sense right now. Thanks for the heads up on the petco sale. Yeah, they do dig. I was thinking mostly floating plants and some stuff on driftwood. U guys think I could get away with a snail? Also, are the plants at petsmart decent? Never really checked it out but all the other fish stores near me are all marine stuff.

As far as lighting goes, are t8s going to be my best option? If not, what?

Filters...I know I am looking for mechanical filtration and bio media for my frog...any else/different for plants?

As far as dosing/ferts goes...is that going to be completely necessary for a tank like this? If so, which? And are they frog safe? Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode