suggestions for automatic feeder schedule - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
suggestions for automatic feeder schedule

I am getting my first automatic feeder, an eheim. I will feed mostly flake food, with supplemental stuff for bottom feeders thrown in by me manually. Do I feed 1, 2, 3 times a day? Does anyone have suggestions about how much, and how often would be ideal for the following?

9 tiger barbs
1 dwarf gourami
2 bosmani rainbows
20 harlenquin rasbora
1 german blue ram

they all get along great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi, I have the same kind of feeder. I have a different set of animals though. I have 8 pygmy corys, 9 other corys, and 12 neon tetras, and 4 wrestling halfbeaks. I set the timer to drop as little food as possible and I set it to drop the food twice at around 8 pm which is an hour before I turn the lights out. I do this so the mid water fish get excited when the first drop happens, and then the corys come out, and the corys don't miss any food because the feeder drops in a little more. I've had one of these feeders on my tanks for about 3 years now because I work weird hours and I go to school, so I can't always be home. I've had no problems, but I will say that for the first week or so you should watch carefully how the fish react. About 2 years go I had a loach who was about 4 inches and he would steal everyone's food, so I had to set the feeder to feed him then about 15 mins later feed again. He'd be busy digging in the gravel and the other fish fed unmolested.

In my experience it takes a lot of observation and fine tweaking. You'll probably have to tweak it a few hundred times before you are satisfied.

Also, I usually take it off three days a week when I feed them live foods.

It can be a pain, but I like the auto feeder, because unlike me it never says, "well maybe they need more food today", and it never forgets or gets stuck at work or school.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would just set it for once a day, and not too large a serving of food.
If you want the fish to eat a second meal, or want to feed frozen food or other things that do not work through the feeder then that is also your chance to look in and see how things are going in the tank.

If this is for vacation then go with about half or less of the regular feeding. I have heard of a lot more disasters when fish are fed while the owner is not there to deal with water changes, and monitor the tank. Almost never, '...and when I got home all the fish had eaten each other..."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode