best aquarium to buy with $55? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool best aquarium to buy with $55?

I just got a quick commission for my art that I think can be reserved this time for a new tank for my dorm. So happy yay.

So basically looking for a total under $55... ONLY lights and tank for plants. No fish, no filtration, no heater. Going to finally try DIY co2 for this thing.

And looking for around 5 gallons, more or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

look around on craigslist. You might get more with that money.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Craigslist will definitely help you get more for your money. But you can get a pretty fancy 3-5 gal tank with lighting for under $50. You can even get a nice rimless tank with a nice desk lamp for lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
CL also you might be able to find a deal on ebay locally as well. enter your zip for regional searching.

btw, congrats on the commission! way to go!

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
CL is a good one, but PetCo is having their $1 per gallon sale and you can snag a brand new tank for cheap! I grabbed a 40B last time for $40! They are easily $110!

But if you're looking for a whole set up (tank, stand, filters, lights, heater), then CL is the place to go

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Since the OP is only looking for the tank and lighting, their money can go a lot further than it would for a complete setup.

Since it's for a dorm room, it'll also have to be a smaller tank, as mentioned.

I'd hit up Marine Depot, any LFS you've got, Craigslist or even Petco/PetSmart if you decide to go the standard 5.5gal route.

Also - what sort of livestock do you want to keep? Dwarf Puffer? Nano fish of some sort? Shrimp?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I like the rimless Mr. aqua bow front tanks and also the truaqua zen nano tanks.

The zen is about $60 with a good light.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
You could purchase a 10 gallon tank for $10.00

You could purchase an adjustable desk lamp from any office supply store or walmart.
For example: https://www.google.com/search?q=flou...=1600&bih=1076

You'd be $20.00-$30.00 in the hole for the lamp and $10.00 with the tank.
That allows $10.00 for spare bulbs.

10 gallon would be better than a 3-5 gallon tank, you would have less to worry about regarding water parameters/waste buildup and have more plants!

-Gordon
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think I'm going to keep any fauna. The sole purpose is the aquascaping/plants, because I can't bring my aquarium over the holidays/4 week breaks. So no one will be there to care for them during that time.

Currently, there aren't any aquariums on craigslist and ebay classified that's under $55 and under 5 gallons... bah. My school only allows us to keep tanks 5 gallons or under, too.. which is unfortunate.

Also, regarding office depot desk lamps, what kind of lighting should I look for to be able to keep medium~high light plants?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Anything that looks like it has good reflection and can support a CFL bulb.

You can typically get nice ones for $10-$20 at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Amazon.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Will DIY CO2 last 4 weeks ? I'm thinking you might have issues with high light and the DIY CO2 on the 3rd and 4th week. I would think that med to high light may cause some crazy algae on the last week(s). I would stick to low-med light for a tank that will be left unattended for 4 week periods. Grab a 5 Gallon on the dollar/gallon sale, a good light and timer.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM

What are your feelings on PetSmart? I seen a 2.5 gallon tank for $15 there before. I'm not sure about Petco, since I've only seen bowls under 5 gallons there.

As for lighting, it shouldn't be too hard to find low wattage bulbs. If you're going for a small tank, I think you could be fine with a 5-10 watt bulb, depending on plants. I've seen regular 15watt bulbs in office stores, but I admit I don't know if those would work the same as a pet geared bulb. Someone else would be better suited to answer that one.

Woof woof, bark!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Come to a decision... 3 gallon Mr. Aqua

But now I have a lighting question; I'm looking for medium lighting then, because I'm hoping to have a dwarf hairgrass carpet for this. Comparing these two lights, which is better suited?
http://www.jebostore.com/ProductDeta...=jb05&CartID=1
http://www.amazon.com/EL-BW21SL-Finn...s=finnex+light

I'm not very knowledgable about lighting at all. Side question, is K amount all I need to look for when comparing lighting?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Neither of those lights will work for medium light, unfortunately. You'll need a desk lamp with a daylight CFL at minimum. Or one of the Fluval clamp CFL fixtures (usually around $25). Cheapest and easiest bet is to get a desk lamp and a daylight bulb from the grocery or hardware store.

If you use champagne yeast, you should be able to get plenty of mileage. I typically get about 9-10 weeks out of a single bottle before recharging.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Also are you allowed to have things plugged in during winter breaks? I know some colleges require everything to be unplugged during breaks.. which means the tank wouldn't get any light/filtration for 4 weeks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode