Planted tank HELP!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted tank HELP!!!

Hi, I wanted to know if it is necessary to add a heater to a low tech planted tank if the water temperature decreases below 26 degrees? The temperature at normal times is around 30-32 degrees, but in winter it can drop to as low as 18 degrees... the tank is indoor... and has quite a number of different plants including hygrophila polysperma, guppy grass, parrot feather, cabomba, water wisteria, aponogeton crispus, amazon sword, dwarf hairgrass and java moss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i'd say it would depend on your fish.. if they are tropical fish then they prefer warmer waters. even though my house has air conditioning and heating, i still use a heater on my tank as a precaution. it's only about $30 for a decent in-tank heater.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
A heater is always a plus, it will ensure your water never gets too cold. Some plants will be more hearty then others in cold water but I would assume if it got too cold things would start to die.

My suggestion is to just go with a heater for the winter, and if you didn't want to use it during the summer you could always take it out. I look at it as insurance for my aquarium, after all the hours of labor and cash I've invested into my aquariums I wouldn't let something like not having a heater ruin all my hard work!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

yes, now i totally agree, it's not about the cost, i'm having mollies for algae control and kribensis and giant danios for display purpose.... i think it's best to go with the heater to be on the safe side! thanks for the response ramen lover and aquarist

I have another question, i have another tank, which is a 6g nano, i'm housing cherry shrimps, and a few native blue shrimps.... it also has a few plants, does cherry shrimp require a high temperature? I mean is it prone to lower temps?

Last edited by shuddho93; 09-12-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention before
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i think cherries prefer colder temps? like 70 or 72 F?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

my ones lives at a much higher temp. of about 82 F... seems to do ok. They are just newly introduced. Haven't got any shrimplets yet, maybe because I dont have a male! (P.S. I didn't know how to distinguish male or female cherry when i bought it)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

WARNING! Every once in a while, we get someone reporting their water heater failing 'on.' This often kills their fish very thoroughly. Think hard about your wattage; in a glass tank your temperature difference of (target-room temperature) isn't going to be very large; especially with plant-growing lights.

If you follow "manufacturer suggested" wattages, a failed-on heater will kill your fish more quickly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

i will keep that in mind Anapplesnail, thnx

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode